Four-star accommodations in 19th century Sheboygan County
Sylvanus Wade House
During the mid-1800s the Wade House, a 2 ½ story, wood, Greek Revival structure, served as a relay station for stagecoaches and a stopping place for settlers and travelers. At this time in Wisconsin's history, railroad lines were just beginning and most people traveled on foot, by boat, or by horse. The state's population was growing and on the move due to the first massive influx of European immigrants; consequently, many stagecoach inns or taverns were built to provide meals and lodging for travelers. Although just one of many inns, the Wade House is often considered Wisconsin's most famous stagecoach inn. Stagecoach drivers and passengers alike termed it "the best on the road."
In 1950, Wade House stood vacant and dilapidated, but Ruth De Young Kohler, bringing to bear the considerable influence of the Kohler family and the Kohler Foundation, began a top-to-bottom restoration. Amid great fanfare, complete with an appearance by Carl Sandburg, Wade House opened to the public on June 4, 1953, as the Society's second historic site.