Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

The Kissel Motor Car Industrial District

Kissel Motor Car Industrial District


The Kissel Motor Car Factory in Hartford consists of 15 buildings, constructed between 1905 and 1920. The first buildings in this district were constructed for the production of the Kissel Gasoline Engine. In 1906 the decision was made to begin producing automobiles and an additional building was constructed. The first buildings in this district were constructed for the production of the Kissel Gasoline Engine. In 1906 the decision was made to begin producing automobiles and an additional building, measuring 112 feet by 160 feet, was constructed. The first buildings in this district were constructed for the production of the Kissel Gasoline Engine. In 1906 the decision was made to begin producing automobiles and an additional building, measuring 112 feet by 160 feet, was constructed. Almost yearly through 1920, new buildings were constructed and existing buildings were expanded to accommodate the growing business. In early 1920s, the company employed over 1200 people. Largely as a result of the success of the Kissel business,Hartford's population nearly tripled between 1900 and 1920 and the city grew from small agricultural support community to a large manufacturing center. The two most famous automobiles produced at the plant were the 1919 Goldbug Speedster and the 1927 White Eagle.

View the Document

Related Topics: Industrialization and Urbanization
Automobile Culture
The Rise of Skilled Manufacturing
Creator: Various
Pub Data: Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Citation: Kissel Motor Car Industrial District. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places. Online facsimile at:  http://www.wisconsinhistory.org/turningpoints/search.asp?id=1473; Visited on: 4/20/2014
  • Questions about this page? Email us
  • Email this page to a friend
select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text