Paine Lumber Company in Oshkosh
Paine Lumber Company Historic District
The Paine Lumber Company Historic District is an early 20th century industrial community-within-a-community. In 1853 Edward L. Paine founded the lumber mill that his sons renamed the Paine Lumber Company. Edward Paine set up his business on the east bank of the Fox River in Oshkosh. With the arrival of the railroad in 1859, Oshkosh became a lumbering industry leader in the state of Wisconsin and nationally. The construction of these row houses for Paine Lumber Company employees was the result of the region's rising population and the philosophy of Edward Paine that labor was a commodity which should be paid for with the least amount of capital. The housing was intended for new immigrant arrivals who were willing to work at a lower wage. The complex consists of six buildings with six apartments in each. In addition to the housing, Nathan Paine created the Paine Thrift Bank in order to finance his operations and pay the laborers.
Mining, Logging, and Agriculture|
Logging and Forest Products
|Creator: ||Paine Lumber Company
|Pub Data: ||Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
|Citation: ||Paine Lumber Company Historic District. Wisconsin National Register of Historic Places.
Online facsimile at:
Visited on: 12/13/2013