Frequently Asked Questions
Ordering Images from the Wisconsin Historical Society
1. How do I place an order online?
After searching our online collections, click "Buy this Image" beneath the image to start your order. If you need assistance, please contact Lisa Marine by email or by telephone at 608-264-6475.
2. How much does an image cost?
See our Image Price List (PDF, 68 KB)
3. How can I pay for my image(s)?
We accept Visa, MasterCard, checks and money orders. Make checks and money orders payable to the Wisconsin Historical Society.
4. How long will it take to receive my order?
- Prints: ready within five business days (U.S. Postal Service)
- Digital files: ready within two business days
- Images not available online: ready within two weeks
- Rush delivery available for an additional fee (contact Lisa Marine by email or by telephone at 608-264-6475 for rush orders)
- Orders for a large number of images may require a longer turnaround time
5. Is there a shipping and handling fee?
- Prints and digital files on CD: $5 shipping and handling fee
- Digital files delivered electronically: no additional shipping and handling fee
Prints 11 x 14 or larger are shipped in reinforced tubes. Prints smaller than 11 x 14 are shipped in envelopes with cardboard.
6. What are your standards for image quality?
Most images are scanned on a flatbed scanner at 400 pixels per inch (ppi) at 8 x 10 inches. Larger items are usually scanned at 300 ppi. All images are color-corrected to closely match the original. Prints are made on archival quality paper with pigment-based inks.
7. May I use images in a publication or public project?
Yes, in most cases. We produce digital files and prints for commercial and non-profit use in projects such as print, advertising, films, videos, and websites. Some images may have copyright restrictions, and images used in publications and public projects require that you request permission for public use. See more about permissions and copyright.
8. May I buy a digital file to make prints for personal use?
No, digital files are provided for publication only, not for personal use or resale. Order prints for personal use by searching our collections, finding your image, clicking "Buy This Image" and selecting a print size for purchase from the format drop-down menu.
9. Who owns the copyright on these images?
The Wisconsin Historical Society does not own the copyright to most images in our collections. It is your responsibility to determine whether your proposed use violates copyright, and if so, to obtain consent from the copyright owner. In some cases, we have written agreements with copyright holders. In others, copyright has lapsed. Often, it is not clear who owns copyright. See more about permissions and copyright.
10. Can your staff digitally retouch images?
Yes, in many cases we can digitally retouch images to fix damaged areas or adjust for other problems. Contact Lisa Marine by email or by telephone at 608-264-6475 to discuss options. Image retouching will incur additional charges. See more information about fees for retouching in our Image Price List (PDF, 68 KB).
11. Can I order an image if it's not online?