Women at the University of Wisconsin - Madison
The University of Wisconsin in Madison was established in 1848 for men only. During the Civil Way women were recruited to bolster enrollment. Initially, the school only allowed women to participate in the teacher-training program. In 1874, when University President John Bascom and his wife Emma Curtiss Bascom moved to Madison, women received greater support for their involvement in the University. This gallery provides an excellent selection of images reflecting women involved in educational, social and athletic activities.