Wisconsin State Capitol Interior — Quarters of the Historical Society
Librarian Daniel S. Durrie seated in the two-story high gallery that the Historical Society occupied in the old South Wing of the Wisconsin State Capitol from 1866 until 1883. In addition to this room, the Society also filled the entire second floor of the South Wing — the same floor with the Senate and the Assembly. Dating to approximately 1880, this photograph is one of a very few that document the early appearance of the Third Capitol. Of note is the patterned carpet and table. The photograph also documents the prominent role of the Society's painting and art collection.
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.