Commissioned by law in 1851, initial construction on the Wisconsin State Prison in Waupun was completed in 1853, with additions following; state costs by 1892 totaled over $1.3 million. The 540-cell facility averaged an occupancy of over 500 in the early 1890s; the prison grounds spanned 24 acres and were augmented by a nearby 112-acre farm.
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.