It took its name from the Union soldiers who popularized it and gave its name to Union corners. During the Civil War, the wives of Union soldiers received their allotment checks in a paymasters headquarters on the second floor. It was torn down in September 1954.
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.