Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin Historical Images

Doty House



Doty House
+ Click to enlarge

Did You Know?

Nearly all of the images in our online collections are available for purchase as archival pigment prints or digital files and many may be licensed for reproduction. For more information, see our FAQ.


Email Icon Share this image with a friend

Title: Doty House
Description: The Doty House on Doty Street (formerly Clymer Street), the first "Executive Mansion" in Madison, occupied in 1841-1844 by Territorial Governor James Duane Doty. When new, it was considered one of the choicest small houses in Madison. It was built by Simon Mills, who sold it to Doty; it was subsequently occupied by Governor Tallmadge (who succeeded Doty), Barlow Shackelold (Doty's brother-in-law), and was later owned by George Burrows, who owned the Opera House next door, and the Williams family. Burrows had the building demolished.

Image ID: 34834
Creation
Date:
1898 
Creator
Name:
Unknown
City, State: Madison, Wisconsin
Collection
Name:
Place File*
Genre: Photograph
Additional
Information:
Presented by George B. Burrows.
Subjects: Housing
Cities and towns
Weathering of buildings
 

This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.

Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text