Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text

Wisconsin Historical Images

Fort Shelby



Fort Shelby
+ Click to enlarge

Did You Know?

Nearly all of the images in our online collections are available for purchase as archival pigment prints or digital files and many may be licensed for reproduction. For more information, see our FAQ.


Email Icon Share this image with a friend

Title: Fort Shelby
Description: Fort Shelby built in 1814 and named for the Governor of Kentucky, was surrendered to British forces later in 1814 and renamed Fort McKay. Pictured here is a diorama in the museum at Villa Louis, Prairie du Chien, representing the surrender. Fort McKay was destroyed by the British commander in 1815 at the conclusion of hostilities. The first log construction Fort Crawford was built on approximately the same site by Americans who then controlled the area, in 1816.

Image ID: 42229
Creation
Date:
1814 
Creator
Name:
Unknown
City, State: Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin
Collection
Name:
Place File****
Genre: Photograph
Subjects: Cities and towns
Military bases
 

This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright.

Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.

select text size Use the smaller-sized textUse the larger-sized textUse the very large text