Wisconsin Historical Society Press
Young Bob: A Biography of Robert M. La Follette, Jr.
By Patrick J. Maney
352 pages, 29 b/w photos, 6 x 9"Buy
Introduction to the Second Edition
- The Early Years, 1895-1916
- The Crisis Years
- Apprenticeship and Succession
- The Youngest Senator
- Coming into His Own
- Fighting the Depression
- La Follette and the New Deal
- Founding the Progressive Party
- The Pressures of Political Life
- "Digging Out the Rats"
- Temporary Alliance
- Concluding the Investigation
- Deadly Parallel
- The Difficult War Years
- Congressional Reorganization
- The Last Years, 1947-1953
—Frank Freidel, "The Washington Post Book World"
"An indefatigable and a keen student of the period in which his protagonist lived and died, the author has brought both compassion and criticism to his exacting assignment. As one who was an intimate friend, adviser, and companion of 'Young Bob,' I find the author's criticisms of the man and his policies cogent, creative, and constructive. Maney has painted 'Young Bob' warts and all, which is precisely the way he would have wanted it done." —Morris H. Rubin, "The Progressive"