Wisconsin Firsts Poster
By Wisconsin Historical Society
Full color, 36x24"
Where was the first performance of the Ringling Brothers' Circus, billed as the "World's Greatest Show?"
- In Baraboo, Wisconsin, 1884.
Wisconsin history has never been so much fun. This colorful poster, packed with dates, facts, and handsome vintage photos, celebrates the many ways Wisconsin has lead the nation in such varied fields as agriculture, invention, politics, education, and sports. For school, libraries, and anyone who wants to show their Wisconsin pride, Wisconsin Firsts is a guide to both famous and little-known facts about Wisconsin, including:
- Immigrants Margarethe Meyer Schurz and Karl Schurz opened the first kindergarten in the United States in Watertown, 1856
- Christopher Latham Sholes of Milwaukee patented the first typewriter, 1868
- Otto Zachow and William Besserdich invented the first four-wheel-drive automobile, Clintonville, 1908
- Wisconsin passed the first law eliminating all legal discrimination against women, 1921
- The University of Wisconsin football badgers won back-to-back victories in the Tournament of Roses, 1999 and 2000