Wisconsin Historical Society logo.

Wisconsin Magazine Of History Archives

New Site!

Moved...

These collection items are now on our new website.

Click the "View Collection" button below to view the new website in a new window or tab.

View Collection
The Wisconsin Magazine of History is a benefit of membership.

Search here to find more than 2,000 feature articles totaling over 35,000 pages, exactly as they originally appeared in the Wisconsin Magazine of History.

The entire archive of previous issues, back to 1917, has been made available online in 2007. This free online access to the Wisconsin Magazine of History is made possible by a generous grant from the Schoenleber Foundation of Milwaukee.


All searches and links to magazine articles will take you to our new Preview website, which has a new look and feel.


Volume Listing > Volume 23 > The history of Potosi

Baumann, Elda Ottelie, 1906- "The history of Potosi"


The History of Potosi: This article summarizes the origins of Potosi, which developed after Captain John Shaw (dates unverified) discovered lead mines in the area in 1815. Originally called Snake Hollow, Potosi was one of the first towns in Grant County to be incorporated and was the largest settlement in the western part of Wisconsin during the mid-1800s, due to an influx of English miners and German immigrants. The article describes specific characteristics of the settlement, such as the growing religious element, eruption of local businesses, and river transport of merchandise and ore. It also discusses how Potosi transitioned from a commercial, Yankee-British mining town to an agricultural settlement comprised of a largely German population. (14 pages)

View Document In a New Window


Citation: Baumann, Elda Ottelie, 1906- "The history of Potosi" Wisconsin Magazine Of History. Volume: 23 /Issue: 1 (1939-1940)

Return To Volume 23
select text size Use the smaller-sized text Use the larger-sized text Use the very large text