Search the Wisconsin Historical Society's collections

Searching for

Refine by

Results 1-20 of 41

Photograph

Darlington Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Built in 1931 by the Iowa Oil Company, Darlington's Service Station at 404 Main Street was said to give the "impression of a temple or a college chapel, an...
Photograph

El Paso Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Knute Bjornson originally built this house in the 1860's and in 1933, his grandson Cooney Bjornson reassembled the humble log building to house a gas stati...
Photograph

La Crosse Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The 400 Cass Street gas station was first constructed in 1928 and later became a Pure Oil station, when it was reopened by Henry Ott, in 1937.
Photograph

Mineral Point Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Manufactured by the Milwaukee Corrugating Company, Josiah Paynter's filling station at 110 South Chestnut Street was the first in Mineral Point.
Photograph

Monroe Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Clarence "Slim" Fritag's Pure Oil service station, located at 1323 Ninth Street, created a sensation in 1935 when the local newspaper announced that "an at...
Photograph

Platteville Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The brick building at 340 South Chestnut Street, was built around 1930. It resembled the house-with-canopy-type station commonly constructed throughout the...
Photograph

Prairie du Sac Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Felix Ohrlien's gas station, at 105 Water Street, was built in 1944-45 and is still in use today, however it is now owned and operated by Dick Ambrose, who...
Photograph

Rockbridge Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: In 1926, the Cunningham family added a small filling station to the corner of their lot, where 1082 Main Street (Lodge Street today) intersects with State...
Photograph

South Lancaster Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: This store, which was originally built in 1840 (and rebuilt after an 1877 fire) was bought in 1891, by Samuel Kerr who continued to sell sugar, flour, mola...
Photograph

Spring Green Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The Tudor Revival cottage-style station at 137 South Winsted Street and State Highway 23 was constructed in 1926. It features a centered gable above the en...
Photograph

Stoddard Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: In 1933, Lester Proksch constructed this striking filling station in the small river town, at 201 North Main Street. Less's Service was opened in July of 1...
Photograph

Cedarburg Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Alexander C. Eschweiler, a well-known architect in Milwaukee, designed this exotic station for the Wadhams Oil and Grease Company of Milwaukee in 1926.
Photograph

Hartland Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Located at 252-256 West Capitol Drive, this Tudor Revival-style structure was built as a residence in the early 1920s and was altered a few years later by...
Photograph

Janesville — Sinclair Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Built in 1925 by A.J. O'Donnell at the cost of five hundred dollars, the filling station located at 720 Center Avenue was designed to resemble a house — al...
Photograph

Janesville — Standard Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Standard Oil Company constructed this brick super-service station in 1930 at 101 North Franklin Street. Its Spanish Colonial-style details include decorati...
Photograph

Kenosha Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Constructed by Gregario Gallo in 1923 and 1924, the building at 2122 Sixtieth Street, incorporated concrete pilasters and an entablature with a plain friez...
Photograph

Madison — Clark Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Located at 1129 South Park Street, this station was built in 1964 by Clark Oil Company at an estimated cost of less than twelve thousand dollars.
Photograph

Madison — Edwards Super Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Edwards Super Service Station officially opened for business on August 16, 1930. The large complex, at 202 East Washington Avenue, represented an effort to...
Photograph

Madison — Parman's Super Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Built by Clayton "Clayt" Parman in 1941, the service station at 3502 Monroe Street looks almost identical to when it opened more than sixty-five years ago.
Photograph

Madison-Shell Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The Shell Oil Company built this service station at 950 South Park Street in 1963. This large single-story service station featured the operator's office a...

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at: