Search the Wisconsin Historical Society's collections

Searching for

Refine by

Results 1-20 of 277

Photograph

Badger Ordinance Works

Date: 
Description: Brick ruins of small building, wagon wheel leaning on it, and tree growing inside. Near Badger Ordinance Works.
Photograph

McCormick's Blacksmith Shop at Walnut Grove

Date: 1931
Description: Exterior view of the blacksmith shop at Walnut Grove farm where Cyrus Hall McCormick (1809-1884) invented and built his first reaper in 1831.
Photograph

Cedarbark Lodge

Date: 1926
Description: A dilapidated Cedar Bark Lodge with no glass in the windows and an overgrown yard on Hermit Island.
Photograph

Dilapidated Milwaukee House

Date: March 1909
Description: Dilapidated Milwaukee house.
Photograph

Cedar Bark Lodge

Date: 1912
Description: Dilapidated Cedar Bark Lodge on Hermit Island, possibly during a period of renovation.
Photograph

Rundown Buildings

Date: 
Description: Two rundown farm buildings in a state of disrepair.
Photograph

Young Children Play in Squalid Alley

Date: 1925
Description: Three young children playing with a wagon in a squalid alley between rows of impoverished houses. Trash and rubble litter the alley.
Photograph

Group Portrait of African Americans in front of Building

Date: February 17 1915
Description: Group portrait of African American children and adults posing in front of a run-down building with a stone chimney — possibly a rural school house.
Photograph

Freedom House

Date: 1965
Description: Exterior view of the Freedom House, which was a Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee (SNCC) sponsored Freedom Center. SNCC Arkansas Project. A child s...
Photograph

Stone Building

Date: 1920
Description: View of the Stone Building, Henry Mall on the University of Wisconsin Madison campus. Later the Hoard Memorial cenotaph was placed on site.
Photograph

Congregational Church

Date: 1940
Description: Exterior of the Congregational Church in dilapidated condition.
Photograph

Alley with Litter

Date: 1925
Description: Squalid, littered alley. Tire tracks run through the mud between wooden buildings.
Photograph

Brisbane House

Date: 1953
Description: Dr. William H. Brisbane house, also known as the Thudium house. It was built between 1868 and 1869 from locally quarried stone for Dr. Brisbane, a physicia...
Photograph

Brigham Farm Building in Ruin

Date: June 1925
Description: View of three farm buildings - the one in the center is collapsing.
Photograph

Old Beecher Tavern

Date: 1935
Description: Tavern in a state of deterioration, with rubble in front. The tavern is partly obscured by an oak tree, and a white house stands behind the tavern.
Photograph

Hawks Tavern Smokehouse

Date: 1920
Description: Smokehouse at Hawks Tavern, also known as Hawks Inn.
Photograph

Burdick Homestead in Edgerton

Date: 1930
Description: Burdick homestead, which was originally made from logs. Built in 1842, it was said to be the first house west of the Rock River.
Photograph

Stony Hill School

Date: June 14 1946
Description: View of the school surrounded by trees, out in an overgrown field during a warm season. Stony Hill School house, where the first Flag Day was celebrated on...
Photograph

Stony Hill School

Date: June 14 1946
Description: Stony Hill School house, where the first Flag Day was celebrated on June 14, 1885.
Photograph

Western Hotel

Date: 
Description: Western Hotel. The original tavern was built in 1834 (?) by William Shields (?). In 1845 it was operated by his son Simon Shields. In 1873 the Hotel was ta...

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at: