COVID-19 Updates: In order to help reduce the increased spread of COVID-19, our headquarters building will be closed to the public until at least January 3, 2021. Click here for more information.

Search the Wisconsin Historical Society's collections

Searching for

Refine by

Results 1-20 of 120

Photograph

Cochrane Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Located at 402 South Main Street, Henry E. Kochenderfer's service station, which opened in 1933, proudly dispensed Phillips 66 gasoline from three pumps o...
Photograph

Darlington Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Built in 1931 by the Iowa Oil Company, Darlington's Service Station at 404 Main Street was said to give the "impression of a temple or a college chapel, an...
Photograph

El Paso Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Knute Bjornson originally built this house in the 1860's and in 1933, his grandson Cooney Bjornson reassembled the humble log building to house a gas stati...
Photograph

Independence Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: This service station located at 23923 Burrows Road (formally State Highway 93) was built in 1931, by Leo Breska. It now houses an auto-repair business, own...
Photograph

La Crosse Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The 400 Cass Street gas station was first constructed in 1928 and later became a Pure Oil station, when it was reopened by Henry Ott, in 1937.
Photograph

Mineral Point Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Manufactured by the Milwaukee Corrugating Company, Josiah Paynter's filling station at 110 South Chestnut Street was the first in Mineral Point.
Photograph

Monroe Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Clarence "Slim" Fritag's Pure Oil service station, located at 1323 Ninth Street, created a sensation in 1935 when the local newspaper announced that "an at...
Photograph

Platteville Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The brick building at 340 South Chestnut Street, was built around 1930. It resembled the house-with-canopy-type station commonly constructed throughout the...
Photograph

Prairie du Sac Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Felix Ohrlien's gas station, at 105 Water Street, was built in 1944-45 and is still in use today, however it is now owned and operated by Dick Ambrose, who...
Photograph

Rockbridge Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: In 1926, the Cunningham family added a small filling station to the corner of their lot, where 1082 Main Street (Lodge Street today) intersects with State...
Photograph

South Lancaster Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: This store, which was originally built in 1840 (and rebuilt after an 1877 fire) was bought in 1891, by Samuel Kerr who continued to sell sugar, flour, mola...
Photograph

Spring Green Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The Tudor Revival cottage-style station at 137 South Winsted Street and State Highway 23 was constructed in 1926. It features a centered gable above the en...
Photograph

Stoddard Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: In 1933, Lester Proksch constructed this striking filling station in the small river town, at 201 North Main Street. Less's Service was opened in July of 1...
Photograph

Burlington Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Filling station built in 1927, at 148 West Chestnut Street, by Jack Hansen.
Photograph

Cedarburg Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Alexander C. Eschweiler, a well-known architect in Milwaukee, designed this exotic station for the Wadhams Oil and Grease Company of Milwaukee in 1926.
Photograph

Town of Emmet Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Constructed of red brick and capped by a steeply pitched gable roof accented with gently flared eaves, this one-story station, built in the mid-1920s, rese...
Photograph

Fond du Lac Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Built in the mid-1930s by Clark Oil Company, this station was located along the city's gasoline alley with other gas stations, auto dealerships, and servic...
Photograph

Glendale Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: The 7575 North Port Washington Road station was built in 1966. The building itself, with its spirited architecture, bold colors, and soaring canopy, was bo...
Photograph

Hartland Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Located at 252-256 West Capitol Drive, this Tudor Revival-style structure was built as a residence in the early 1920s and was altered a few years later by...
Photograph

Janesville — Sinclair Service Station

Date: 2008
Description: Built in 1925 by A.J. O'Donnell at the cost of five hundred dollars, the filling station located at 720 Center Avenue was designed to resemble a house — al...

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at: