Archaeology Activity Boxes
Familiarize your students with the basic concepts and procedures guiding archaeological research by borrowing one of our Archaeology Activity Boxes.
Grade-level: Materials are targeted to students in grades 4-8
Cost: $25 (for one or both boxes) for up to 4 weeks
Field tools in the Field Activity Box
Artifact sets from the Lab Activity Box
"Digging and Discovery: Wisconsin Archaeology"
Each box includes the materials needed to complete each activity plus a classroom set of books and posters.
Field Activity Box
Students will map a simulated excavation unit using the same tools and techniques employed by archaeologists. Students will also examine the artifacts to guess which activity took place at the archaeological site. Included in the box are all the field materials needed to conduct the activity and two sets of camping activity "artifacts."
Lab Activity Box
Students will measure and describe reproductions of Native American artifacts to learn how archaeologists identify tools. Students will also gain a basic understanding of Wisconsin prehistory. Included in the box are all lab materials needed to conduct the activity: four artifact sets (Sites A-D) and two sets of calipers.
Books and posters in each box
- A classroom set (25 copies) of the publication "Digging and Discovery: Wisconsin Archaeology"
- a poster set of Wisconsin Early Indian Cultures
- Teachers' guides and additional reading, including one copy of each of the following:
- "Teacher's Guide to the Archaeology Activity Box"
- "Digging and Discovery: Wisconsin Archaeology Teacher's Guide and Student Materials"
- "Dig This! How Archaeologists Uncover Our Past"
- "Eyewitness Books: Archaeology"
- "The Young Oxford Book of Archaeology"
To reserve an Archaeological Activity Box, contact Denise Wiggins at 608-264-6560, 9 am to 5 pm, Monday through Friday. Boxes may be picked-up at the Museum Archaeology Program Office in Madison or shipped for approximately $10.