Frank Lloyd Wright: A Wisconsin Original Exhibit

"Frank Lloyd Wright: A Wisconsin Original" Exhibit

Thursday, June 8, 2017 - Sunday, October 14, 2018

As part of Wade House historic site's year-long celebration of the life of Frank Lloyd Wright, the site will be unveiling one of Wright's carriages, a roof-seat omnibus, which was restored by Wesley Jung in 1967 and is part of our Wesley W. Jung Carriage Collection.  Another Wesley W. Jung vehicle will also be highlighted in the display - a canopy top surrey that Frank Lloyd Wright and Olgivanna Wright rode in during the Spring Green Centennial Parade in July of 1957.   

The display of Wright's omnibus and Jung's canopy top surrey will coincide with the display of a special exhibit titled "A Taliesin Album:  Rare Photographs of Frank Lloyd Wright's First Spring Green Home", which documents the construction of the original Taliesin (Taliesin 1), the residence/workshop Frank Lloyd Wright designed and built in Spring Green, Wisconsin in 1911-1912.  The images in this album provide a rare glimpse at a structure that stood for only a couple of years.  An arsonist burned down the residential wing of Taliesin 1 on August 15, 1914 and murdered seven people inside. 

The album's 33 photographs are reproduced in this display.  Although it is clear that the album was assembled at the time of Taliesin's completion in 1912, we do not know the identity of the album's creator, recipient, or photographers.  Some of the images may have been taken by draftsman Taylor Woolley and/or by Wright himself.  While these facts remain mysteries, the album sheds new light on the nature of the building and the property in the absence of many other visual documents.

After the destruction of Taliesin I, Wright quickly set out to rebuild.  Taliesin II stood for ten years, until another fire claimed it in 1925.  Work on the present Taliesin (III) began shortly thereafter.   



Wade House
Wade House Historic Site, W7965 State Hwy 23
Greenbush, WI 53026

Location Information

Wade House, an 1850s stagecoach inn built to serve traffic along the plank road that connected Fond du Lac and Sheboygan, tells the story of frontier entrepreneur Sylvanus Wade and his family during the Civil War years. In addition to the inn, the historic site includes the recently reconstructed Herrling sawmill, one of the few working, water-powered sawmills of its kind in the nation. Wade House is also home to the Wesley Jung Carriage Museum, which houses the state's largest collection of antique carriages and working wagons.

Accessibility Information

Reasonable accommodations will be made for individuals requiring wheelchairs for mobility. Call ahead to make arrangements.