WHS Copyright and Use Information
All material on the Wisconsin Historical Society World Wide Web Site is copyrighted by the Wisconsin Historical Society unless otherwise indicated. It is for the personal use of students, scholars, and the public.
The nature of historical archival collections means that copyright or other information about restrictions may be difficult to determine. Whenever possible, the Wisconsin Historical Society provides information about copyright owners and other restrictions in the catalog records, finding aids, and donor records. The Society provides such information as a service to aid patrons in determining the appropriate use of an item, but the legal determination ultimately rests with the patron.
Images reproduced from the collections of the Wisconsin Historical Society are for viewing and personal use only. Permission for commercial use or any publication, manipulation, display or distribution is only granted by written application to the Wisconsin Historical Society. Send your requests to the Society's Webmaster via the Feedback Form.
Conditions of Use When Receiving Written Permission from the Wisconsin Historical Society.
- Credit must be given to the Wisconsin Historical Society and the creator of the item (e.g. the author or photographer) if known.
- Permission to reproduce, publish, broadcast, display, or distribute an item or text must be requested in writing. Permission is granted in writing, not orally. Possession of an item does not constitute permission to reproduce or publish it.
- Permission is for one-time use only. The Wisconsin Historical Society retains all rights to the items or text, and the requester warrants that they will not be used for any purpose other than that listed on this permission form.
- In some cases, the Wisconsin Historical Society will request that a copy of the publication be donated to the Society.
- The person requesting permission must secure copyright clearance from the copyright holder, if known. In requesting permission to reproduce materials from the collections of the Society, the requester agrees to hold harmless the Wisconsin Historical Society, its officers and employees from any action involving infringement of the rights of any person or heirs and descendants in common law or under statutory copyright.
- Images may be cropped to suit design and layout, but they may not be altered or drawn upon or manipulated in any way so that they look different from the way they appear in the historical collection.
- The Society reserves the right to refuse to grant permission and/or provide photo reproduction services to publishers and individuals who have not complied with our policies.