Search Another Date


On This Day: September 8

1846 - Carroll College Opened

On this date Carroll College, Wisconsin's oldest college, opened with an enrollment of five men and two faculty members. [Source: History Just Ahead: A Guide to Wisconsin's Historical Markers edited by Sarah Davis McBride, p.67]

1856 - Holy Redeemer Church Dedicated

On this date the Holy Redeemer Church at 120 West Johnson Street in Madison was dedicated. Founded by a break-away group of parishoners from St. Raphael's Catholic Church comprised of German immigrants from Bavaria, Wuerttemberg, Baden, Switzerland, and the Rhine provinces, Holy Redeemer offered worship services in German conducted by Father Michael Haider. [Source: Bishops to Bootleggers: A Biographical Guide to Resurrection Cemetery, p.15]

1860 - Sinking of the Lady Elgin

On this date the steamship Lady Elgin was lost on Lake Michigan and was one of the lake's most tragic maritime disasters. The ship had been chartered by Milwaukee's Irish Union Guards who had been in Chicago attending a fund raiser in order to purchase weapons to arm their unit. Their ship was struck by an unlit lumber schooner and sank. At least 300 lives were lost, many from Milwaukee's Irish Third Ward community. [Source: History Just Ahead: A Guide to Wisconsin's Historical Markers edited by Sarah Davis McBride, p. 17]

1862 - (Civil War) Fight at St. Charles Court House, Louisiana

The 4th Wisconsin Infantry participated in a fight at St. Charles Court House in Louisiana.

1871 - Railroad Completed to Baraboo

On this date the track of the Chicago Northwestern Railroad was completed to Baraboo. On Tuesday, September 12, 1871 a celebration was held including music, speeches by city officials, cannon firing, and public celebration. An estimated 10,000 people were present for this event. [Source: Mid-Continent Railway Museum]

1958 - Janesville Women Belly Up to the Bar

On this date the Janesville city council voted 4-2 to finally end a paternalistic and discriminatory ordinance that prohibited women from drinking at the bar. Since the end of Prohibition in 1933, women had been banned from being served while standing at the bar in Janesville taverns. [Source: Janesville Gazette]