1 2 3 4
.

Date: 1864 

Description: This map is ink, pencil, and color on paper and shows numbered lots and labeled streets. The bottom margin of the map reads: "Recorded in the Registry of...

Map or Atlas

Lower Prairie du Chien

Date: 1856 

Description: This map shows lot and block numbers, streets, depot building, and the Milwaukee & Mississippi Rail Road.

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Congregational church, organized in 1852.

Date: 1855-05-21 

Description: This plat map shows lots, the Kickapoo River, and the Wisconsin River.

Photograph

Commercial Hotel

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Commercial Hotel.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Photograph

Vedder House

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: The Cornelia Vedder house. Described as the house "where George Winnie, a conductor on the Milwaukee and Prairie du Chien Railroad, stayed at the end of hi...

Photograph

Pile-Pontoon Bridge

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Stereoview of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: A view of Fort Crawford (the second site and buildings of 1829-?).

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1860 ca.

Description: View from field of Villa Louis, the residence of Hercules L. Dousman.

Date: 1870 

Description: During the War of 1812, the only battle fought in Wisconsin was in Prairie du Chien, in 1814. Made fifty-six years later, this birds eye drawing depicts th...

Date: 1864 ca.

Description: Lawler Hall at Campion College. This image was made during the Civil War when the building was used as a U.S. Military hospital. Prior to the war, it was B...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Astor Company or Brisbois fur trading post.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery. Photograph made before restoration by the United States Government. Soldiers' families were also buried in the cemetery.

Map or Atlas

Lower Prairie du Chien

Date: 1856 

Description: This map is ink and watercolor on paper and includes certifications inscribed by Saml. T. [M?]ight, a civil engineer, Edward H. Brodhead, James H. Lockwood...

Photograph

Fort Shelby

Date: 1814 

Description: Fort Shelby built in 1814 and named for the Governor of Kentucky, was surrendered to British forces later in 1814 and renamed Fort McKay. Pictured here is...

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Drawing

School

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: The first school house at Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.

Date: 1864 

Description: Union troops at Lawler Hall which was used as a U.S. military hospital during the Civil War. Originally built as the Brisbois Hotel in 1857, it was given f...

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1830 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford (the original site, 1816-1831).

1 2 3 4

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.