Become a Member
Learn About Membership Benefits, Levels, FAQs
As a member of the Wisconsin Historical Society, you will enjoy many great benefits that will help you find the answers to all your questions about history. You can choose from several different levels of membership, but whichever one you pick, please know that your support will help ensure that the history of our state and nation will be collected, preserved and shared for generations to come.
- Members Receive
- An annual subscription to the award-winning quarterly "Wisconsin Magazine of History"
- FREE admission to the Wisconsin Historical Museum (on the Capitol Square in Madison)
- Half-price or free admission to all 12 historic sites and museums
- One year of "Columns," the Society's informative and colorful print newsletter
- A subscription to the Society's weekly e-newsletter with news, events and fascinating facts
- 10-percent discount on genealogical records, books, historic image prints and more
- Invitations to special members-only events and activities
- Individual ($45)
- All the benefits of membership for one adult
- Household ($60)
- All Individual level benefits for two adults and all accompanying children
- History Lover ($100)
- All Household level benefits plus:
- Free admission to 12 historic sites and museums
- A coupon for an additional 10-percent discount on a purchase
- Parking coupon for the Wisconsin Historical Museum or Society headquarters building
- One 6-month Individual trial membership for a friend
- History Guardian ($250)
- All History Lover benefits plus:
- 2 guest passes to 12 historic sites and museums
- 2 parking coupons for the Wisconsin Historical Museum or Society headquarters building
- Invitations to exclusive events
- History Ambassador ($500)
- All History Guardian benefits plus:
- 2 additional guest passes to 12 historic sites and museums
- Heritage Circle ($1000 or more)
- Heritage Circle members contribute $1,000 or more annually and receive all benefits listed above, plus special benefits and recognition in appreciation of their support. Please contact us by phone at 608-261-9364 or by email at email@example.com for more information.
Other Membership Options
- Basic ($30)
- Benefits of an Individual level membership but does not include the "Wisconsin Magazine of History"
- Institutional ($65)
- This is a great option for organizations, businesses, schools and libraries. Benefits include the "Wisconsin Magazine of History," "Columns" and a 10-percent discount on regularly priced Wisconsin Historical Society Press publications.
Frequently Asked Questions About Membership
- How long is my membership valid?
- When you purchase a Wisconsin Historical Society membership, it is valid for a minimum of 12 months.
- I don't live in Wisconsin. Should I still be a member?
- Yes! Our members live in all 50 states, and even overseas. If you are interested in reading the Wisconsin Magazine of History or purchasing online records and gifts at a discount, a membership with the Society would be very beneficial to you.
- Are my children or grandchildren included in my membership discount at the Society's 12 historic sites and museums?
- Yes. The half-priced or free admission benefit at the Household level and above is valid for two adults and all accompanying children who are under the age of 18.
- Are my membership dues tax-deductible?
- Depending on which level you choose, all or part of your membership gift is tax-deductible. For more information, call our membership office toll free at 1-888-748-7479.
- I am a business – is there a special level of membership for me?
- Yes. The Society offers Institutional memberships for organizations, businesses, schools, and libraries. Benefits include the "Wisconsin Magazine of History," "Columns" and 10 percent off regularly priced Wisconsin Historical Society Press publications. Institutional Memberships are $65 annually. Purchase an institutional membership online or by contacting the membership office toll free at 1-888-748-7479.
- For organizations looking for partnership opportunities, such as sponsorship, the Society also offers a Business Partners program. For more information, contact Julie Lussier by email or by phone at 608-261-9587.
- Can I donate to the Society but waive the benefits of membership?
- Yes! All print and online donation forms include an option to waive benefits, as well as an option to enter your desired gift amount.
- How do I know where my gift went?
- All membership and other gifts that are not designated to a specific purpose are used in the area of the Society's greatest need. If you would like to give a gift for a specific division or purpose, you can do so by indicating that on your donation form.
- Can I give membership as a gift?
- Yes! The recipient will be notified that this is a gift from you, and your message will appear within that notification. You can purchase a gift membership online.
- If I'm purchasing a Wisconsin Historical Society membership, why does my payment go to the Wisconsin Historical Foundation?
- The Wisconsin Historical Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization, receives grants and private contributions for the benefit of the Society and administers its membership program.
- Can I split my membership gift into monthly payments?
- Yes! You can set up a monthly gift for membership through the monthly giving donation page.
- Can I purchase a membership when I visit a historic site?
- Yes! You may purchase a new membership or renew your existing membership at any of the Society's 12 historic sites and museums. Additionally, when you choose this option, your membership payment will go directly to the site where you purchased your membership. You can support your favorite historic site and become a member at the same time.
Enjoy all the benefits of membership while supporting an important cause.Become a Member
Already a member? Make a donation, renew your membership, or purchase gift memberships online. You can even register for an account on the site to access your giving history and change your address.
Already have an account? Login with your user ID and password to access your giving history, renew, or make an additional donation.
Giving online is safe and secure. Simply click any link above to enter our secure donation website. A confirmation email will be sent when you complete your donation.
Want to mail in your membership payment instead? Print and complete this form (PDF, 658 KB) and then mail it with your payment to: Wisconsin Historical Foundation, PO Box 260050, Madison, WI 53726-0050.
To join by phone, call us toll free at 1-888-748-7479.
Thank you for your support!
About the Wisconsin Historical Foundation
Do you have questions about becoming a member or donating? We're here to help!
Contact the membership office at 1-888-748-7479 (toll free) or by email below: