Become a Member
Learn About Membership Benefits, Levels, FAQs
The Wisconsin Historical Society's efforts depend on support
from members. By joining today, you'll enjoy exclusive benefits
while ensuring that the history of our state and nation is
collected, preserved and shared for generations to come.
Become a member and enjoy a full year of benefits!
- Free admission* to 12 historic sites and
museums during regular operating hours
- 5-issue subscription to the Wisconsin
Magazine of History—now also available
as an e-publication on your computer,
tablet or smartphone (excludes History
- 2 one-time use historic site guest
passes to bring a friend or family
- 10% discount on all Society special
events, webinars, workshops and
conferences (including the annual Local
History-Historic Preservation Conference)
- 10% discount on books, historic image
prints, genealogical records and more
- One year of Columns, the Society's
informative and colorful print
newsletter—available in print and online
- Invitations to exclusive member
events throughout the state
- A subscription to the Society's Weekly
E-Newsletter with news, events and
*Boat trip ticket to visit Black Point Estate & Gardens purchased separately
For one adult
For two adults and children under 18
IndividualAll membership benefits
including FREE historic site and museum admission and 2 one-time use bonus guest passes
History ExplorerAll membership benefits excluding the print and digital Wisconsin Magazine of History
History LoverAll membership benefits including the Wisconsin Magazine of History, PLUS one 6-month Individual level gift membership for a friend
History Guardian ($250)All membership benefits PLUS 2 additional historic site and museum guest passes and recognition in the annual report
History Ambassador ($500)All membership benefits PLUS 4 additional historic site and museum guest passes, recognition in the annual report, invitations to special gatherings and VIP seating at the annual Local History and Historic Preservation Conference
Heritage Circle ($1,200+)The Heritage Circle comprises members who give $1,200-$4,999 each year and the President's Council – members who give more than $5,000 annually. All Heritage Circle members receive the basic benefit package PLUS:
- Additional historic site and museum guest passes
- Exclusive behind-the-scenes tours
- One free registration to the Local History and Historic Preservation Conference
- One-on-one consultation with a Society conservator to examine your paper-based artifacts and answer preservation questions
President's Council ($5,000+)All Heritage Circle membership benefits PLUS even more exclusive-access opportunities!
Frequently Asked Questions About Membership
- How long is my membership valid?
- When you purchase a Wisconsin Historical Society membership, it is valid for a minimum of 12 months.
- I don't live in Wisconsin. Should I still be a member?
- Yes! Our members live in all 50 states, and even overseas. If you are interested in reading the Wisconsin Magazine of History or purchasing online records and gifts at a discount, a membership with the Society would be very beneficial to you.
- Are my children or grandchildren included in my membership discount at the Society's 12 historic sites and museums?
- Yes. With the exception of the Individual level of membership, which includes only one adult, all memberships include free admission for two adults and all accompanying children under 18.
- Are my membership dues tax-deductible?
- Depending on which level you choose, all or part of your membership gift is tax-deductible. For more information, call our membership office toll free at 1-888-748-7479.
- I am a business – is there a special level of membership for me?
- Yes. The Society offers Institutional memberships for organizations, businesses, schools, and libraries. Benefits include the "Wisconsin Magazine of History," "Columns" and 10 percent off regularly priced Wisconsin Historical Society Press publications. Institutional Memberships are $65 annually. Purchase an institutional membership online or by contacting the membership office toll free at 1-888-748-7479.
- For organizations looking for partnership opportunities, such as sponsorship, the Society also offers a Business Partners program. For more information, contact Julie Lussier by email or by phone at 608-261-9587.
- Can I donate to the Society but waive the benefits of membership?
- Yes! All print and online donation forms include an option to waive benefits, as well as an option to enter your desired gift amount.
- How do I know where my gift went?
- All membership and other gifts that are not designated to a specific purpose are used in the area of the Society's greatest need. If you would like to give a gift for a specific division or purpose, you can do so by indicating that on your donation form.
- Can I give membership as a gift?
- Yes! The recipient will be notified that this is a gift from you, and your message will appear within that notification. You can purchase a gift membership online.
- If I'm purchasing a Wisconsin Historical Society membership, why does my payment go to the Wisconsin Historical Foundation?
- The Wisconsin Historical Foundation, a 501(c)(3) tax exempt organization, receives grants and private contributions for the benefit of the Society and administers its membership program.
- Can I split my membership gift into monthly payments?
- Yes! You can set up a monthly gift for membership through the monthly giving donation page.
- Can I purchase a membership when I visit a historic site?
- Yes! You may purchase a new membership or renew your existing membership at any of the Society's 12 historic sites and museums. Additionally, when you choose this option, your membership payment will go directly to the site where you purchased your membership. You can support your favorite historic site and become a member at the same time.
About the Wisconsin Historical Foundation
Do you have questions about becoming a member or donating? We're here to help!
Contact the membership office, open Monday - Friday, 8am - 5 pm, at 1-888-748-7479 (toll free) or by email below: