About Our 4th-Grade Textbook
'Wisconsin: Our State, Our Story'
Wisconsin 4th-Grade History Textbook'Wisconsin: Our State, Our Story'
by Bobbie Malone, Kori Oberle, and Kurt Griesemer
264 pages, 10" x 9"
more than 600 color illustrations
"Wisconsin: Our State, Our Story" is the definitive Wisconsin history textbook from the Wisconsin Historical Society. Full color and visually stunning, it promotes strong literacy and content skills. In it, students encounter lively stories of the many individuals, groups, and events that shaped our past - from the retreat of the glaciers more than 10,000 years ago to the diverse state we are today.
- Learn about the Menominee, Ho-Chunk, and Ojibwe who have lived here for centuries.
- Hear the story of escaped slave John Greene.
- See artifacts owned by Civil War general and Wisconsin governor, Lucius Fairchild.
- And much, much more!
(PDF, 22 pages, 3.68 MB)
View sample pages of Chapter 6 of "Wisconsin: Our State, Our Story."
Framework Stimulates Critical Thinking
- Big historical questions using the Thinking Like a Historian model start each chapter.
- Thought-provoking topics develop critical thinking skills and provide opportunities to evaluate information and make new connections to history.
- Engaging, kid-friendly format and consistent placement of key words, timelines and essential questions provide continuity while building historical literacy.
- Hundreds of maps, photographs, historical documents, and artifacts from the Wisconsin Historical Society's vast collections - and from other Wisconsin collections - provide supporting visual evidence through primary sources.
Teacher Tested in Classrooms
- "Wisconsin: Our State, Our Story" was developed in consultation with four authors and an advisory board of reading specialists, history scholars, curriculum coordinators, and teachers and tested in actual 4th-grade test classrooms.
- As a result, the book has been designed in an accessible format to encourage multiple learning styles.
- Color-coded terms, phonetic pronunciations and meaningful imagery and sidebars are just a few examples of how the design supports literacy and fluency.
Well Supported With Supplemental Materials
Aligned to Wisconsin Historical Society Resources
- Chapter summaries offer additional resources relevant to chapter topics.
- Find field trip opportunities at Wisconsin's historic sites, museums and regional venues listed in the "Some Places to Visit" sidebars.
- Discover fascinating books for young readers published by the Wisconsin Historical Society Press in the "Some Things to Read" sidebars, including our Badger Biographies education series.
Now in Spanish!
How to Order
"Wisconsin: Our State, Our Story" gives Wisconsin teachers everything they need - and more - to teach history. Learn how to order today!
Contact our helpful staff about implementing the textbook in your classroom.