About Information Collected
- Personal Information. We collect personal information that you provide to us, such as your name, mailing address, phone number, and email address. We collect credit card and financial information to complete sales transactions.
- Non-Personal Information. We also collect non-personal information from you, such as your browser type, the URL of the previous website you visited, your ISP, operating system, and your internet protocol (IP) address ("non-personal information"). Non-personal information cannot be easily used to personally identify you.
How Information Is Collected
- Providing Information to Us. We collect personal information from you when you provide it to us. For example, if you purchase a product sold through our Website, we may collect your name, mailing address, telephone number, credit card number and email address. If you sign up to receive a newsletter, we will collect your email address.
- Communications With Us. If you communicate with us regarding the Website, we will collect any information that you provide to us in any such communication.
- Analytic and Reporting Technologies. Like the operators of most websites, we use analytic and reporting technologies to record non-personal information such as internet domain and host names, internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser software, operating system types, clickstream patterns, and the dates and times that the Website is accessed.
How Information Is Used
- Personal Information. We use personal information primarily for our own internal purposes such as providing, maintaining, evaluating, and improving Historical Society services and the Website; fulfilling requests for information, producing and shipping the products that you order; and providing customer support. For example, if you purchase a product on our Website, we will use the information that you provide us to communicate with you about your purchase and any subsequent transactions. Similarly, if you sign up to receive a Wisconsin Historical Society newsletter, we will use the email address you provide to send you the newsletters.
- Non-Personal Information. We use non-personal information to track the use of the Website and for other internal purposes, such as providing, maintaining, evaluating and improving the Wisconsin Historical Society Website.
- Disclosure of Personal Information. We do not disclose personal information to third parties unless required to do so by State of Wisconsin or Federal Law.
- Disclosure of Non-Personal Information. We do not disclose non-personal information, in aggregate form, to third parties.
Reviewing and Changing Information
You can obtain a copy of and request that we correct errors in your personal information by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org. For your protection, you will be required to provide proof of your identity to obtain a copy of your personal information.
If you choose to use our referral service to tell a friend about the Website, we will ask you for your friend's name and email address. We will automatically send your friend a one-time email inviting him or her to visit the Website. We do not store this information.
The security of your personal information is important to us. When you enter sensitive information such as a credit card number, we encrypt the information using secure socket layer technology (SSL).
We follow generally accepted industry standards to protect the personal information submitted to us, both during transmission and once we receive it. However, no method of transmission over the internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure. Therefore, while we strive to use commercially acceptable means to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee its absolute security.
The Site contains links to other websites. The Wisconsin Historical Society is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of these other websites. Customers and visitors will need to check the policy statement of other websites to understand their policies.
The Wisconsin Historical Society collects, but does not store, limited information from children as a part of various online educational games. This information is not stored, saved or shared in any way.
If you no longer wish to receive our newsletters and promotional communications, you may opt-out by following the instructions included in each newsletter or communication, or by emailing us at email@example.com.
Effective date: January 1, 2008
Last modified: February 18, 2014
About the Wisconsin Historical Society