For Headquarters, Library, Archives and Program Offices
Large, Comfortable Work Spaces
The bright, airy, 5,568 square foot, two-story high Library Reading Room offers you a comfortable place to study or do research in one of the state's most grand architectural buildings. Ample study tables allow you to spread out your work. Each table has several outlets for laptops and other devices. Free Wi-Fi is available. The Library Reading Room is located on the 2nd floor of the Society.
The Archives Research Room offers a quiet place to review original documents and collections. The Archives Research Room is located on the 4th floor of the Society.
- Library: We offer 14 public computers. Six are dedicated to genealogy research. They provide free access to Ancestry Library Edition and other genealogical online resources. Eight are University of Wisconsin computers. They provide access to the internet and historic databases licensed to the University.
- Archives: Three public computers are available for searching collections descriptions.
- Free Wireless internet access is available via the University of Wisconsin network in both the Library and the Archives. Each Library table offers ample electrical outlets for visitors to charge electronic devices.
- Library: We offer ten microfilm readers and eight digital microfilm scanners. Note: the ten microfilm readers do not have printing capabilities. Researchers may view and print from microfilm on the 2nd floor.
- Archives: One microfilm reader is available. Note: It does not have printing capabilities. Researchers may view and print microfilm in the Reading Room on the 2nd floor.
- Library: We offer two scanner copiers designed specifically for copying book materials. Copied materials can be printed to paper, saved to Google Docs or to a flash drive.
- Archives: Two copiers are available. The archives also allows the use of digital photography. There is a fee for using a camera and researchers wanting to take photos should bring their own equipment. The fee for camera use is a minimum of $15.00 or $0.07 per image whichever is more. Researchers must sign a photography agreement form before taking any photographs (Photography Agreement, 98 KB, PDF).
- Microform Copying: Eight digital microfilm scanners for making copies from microfilm and microfiche. Located on the 2nd floor in the Library.
- Library Debit Card: Copiers require a debit card available from a dispenser in the Library. For more information about obtaining copies call: Archives Reference Desk at 608-264-6460 or the Library Reference Desk at 608-264-6535.
- Library: Restrooms are located on the 2nd floor, just outside the Library.
- Archives: Restrooms are located on the 4th floor, just outside the Archives Research Room.
- Main floor: Restrooms are located near the auditorium on the 1st floor.
- Library: There is no coat closet available in the Library.
- Archives: There is a large closet available for your coats and jackets.
- Store Small Items: Such as laptops, briefcases, book bags or handbags.
- Library: Several lockers are available in Library's book stacks on the 2nd floor.
- Archives: Several lockers are available just outside the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor.
- Public vending machines are available on the 1st floor.
- The University of Wisconsin Memorial Union is just across the street. The Union offers a wide assortment of dining options.
- State Street in downtown Madison has many restaurants to choose from and is within walking distance.
Contact our Library and Archives staff at 608-264-6535 or by email below: