1 2 3
.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Astor Company or Brisbois fur trading post.

Date: 1873 ca.

Description: Stereoview of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over both channels of the Mississippi River at Prairie du Chien, and McGregor, Iowa. East draw, 396...

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Stereograph looking northeast from Case's Block.

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1860 ca.

Description: View from field of Villa Louis, the residence of Hercules L. Dousman.

Photograph

Brisbois Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: A view of the Brisbois Hotel, built in the early 1860's, and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was later part of Campion High School.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery. Photograph made before restoration by the United States Government. Soldiers' families were also buried in the cemetery.

Date: 1870 

Description: Stereograph of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: The Dousman Office building, later used as a pearl button factory.

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Hospital.

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view of a gazebo, porch, and benches on the campus of St. Mary Academy. The lawn overlooks the Iowa Bluffs near the Mississippi River.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the back of...

Photograph

Commercial Hotel

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Commercial Hotel.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Photograph

John Muir

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Head and shoulders oval framed portrait of John Muir (1838-1914).

Photograph

St. Mary Academy

Date: 1864 after

Description: A view from lawn of the stone facade of St. Mary Academy. The arched main entrance is partially visible behind trees on left. A bell tower sits in the midd...

Date: 1890 ca.

Description: A view of the interior of St. Gabriel's Church.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery, as seen before it was restored by the United States Government.

Photograph

Weighing Guests

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Group of people on the front porch, weighing the guests. A visit was considered successful if the guests weighed more when they left.

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford ruins. This image may be even earlier than 1875; by the 1880's almost nothing was left of the actual fort compound buildings.

1 2 3

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.