1 2 3 4 5
.

Photograph

Brisbois Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: A view of the Brisbois Hotel, built in the early 1860's, and used as a hospital during the Civil War. It was later part of Campion High School.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Prairie du Chien (vicinity) about 1895-1900. Shell buyers with their launches and barges docked at shoreline. Freshwater clam shells were used in the pearl...

Date: 1898 

Description: Mrs. Nina Dousman with children and house party guests in the dining room at Villa Louis.

Date: 1864 

Description: This map is ink, pencil, and color on paper and shows numbered lots and labeled streets. The bottom margin of the map reads: "Recorded in the Registry of...

Photograph

Kane's Hotel

Date: 1865 ca.

Description: Kane's Hotel, built in about 1839 by Ezekiel Tainter, and then called the Phoenix Hotel, on Main Street. It passed through many hands but retained the orig...

Date: 1855 

Description: This map shows streets and lots. The right side of the map includes notes on widths of streets and certifications. The top right reads: "Parish's Additio...

Photograph

Dousman Warehouse

Date: 1870 ca.

Description: Dousman Warehouse, East Water Street. Originally located on the wharf parallel with the river. Built 1839, and occupied by Dousman until about 1855.

Photograph

Villa Louis

Date: 1860 ca.

Description: View from field of Villa Louis, the residence of Hercules L. Dousman.

Date: 1870 

Description: Stereograph of John Lawler's pile-pontoon railway bridge over the Mississippi River.

Painting

Fort Crawford

Date: 1840 ca.

Description: Photograph of a painting of the second Fort Crawford, built 1829-1835. The first Fort Crawford at Prairie du Chien was built in 1816, abandoned in 1826, r...

Date: 1856 

Description: This map shows lot and block numbers, streets, the Mississippi River, Fort Crawford, depot ground, and a graveyard. An old fort location is outlined in re...

Date: 1858 

Description: This map shows streets, lots, and landownership. Also included are notations in pencil and blue colored pencil. Some lots are colored in blue, green, or...

Date: 1851-08-11 

Description: Photograph of the death notice of Daniel G. Fenton, a Judge of the County Court, published by the Members of the Bar of Crawford County.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the back of...

Photograph

Weighing Guests

Date: 1898 ca.

Description: Group of people on the front porch, weighing the guests. A visit was considered successful if the guests weighed more when they left.

Photograph

Commercial Hotel

Date: 1880 ca.

Description: Exterior view of the Commercial Hotel.

Date: 1895 ca.

Description: Fort Crawford Military Cemetery, as seen before it was restored by the United States Government.

Date: 1880 

Description: Stereograph of the Artesian Well near the intersection of Wisconsin and Minnesota (later renamed Wacouta) Streets. The following is printed on the backside...

Photograph

Fort Crawford

Date: 1864 

Description: Fort Crawford was decommissioned in 1856, having outlived its usefulness as a frontier post. During the Civil War, however, it functioned as a military ho...

Date: 1875 ca.

Description: Stereograph view of Black Hawk Avenue.

1 2 3 4 5

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the material you searched for, our Library Reference Staff can help.

Call our reference desk at 608-264-6535 or email us at:

.
.