About the State Historic Preservation Office
The Wisconsin State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) assists communities, organizations, agencies and individuals identify and protect archaeological sites, burial places and historic properties in Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin SHPO is your partner to
- Maintain inventories of historic properties
- Administer grants
- Conduct and support archaeological research
- Provide technical assistance to local governments and owners of historic properties
- Administer federal and state tax credit programs for the rehabilitation of historic properties
- Catalog burial sites (including Native American mounds) and prehistoric sites and structures
- Administer the Wisconsin Historical Markers Program
- Administer the Certified Local Government Program
- Nominate sites to the State and National Registers of Historic Places
The Wisconsin State Historic Preservation Office is located on the third floor of the Society headquarters building on the south end of the University of Wisconsin–Madison campus. The entrance faces the Library Mall fountain. Get directions to the Society headquarters building.
The closest parking lot is the State Street Campus Ramp. It is located on Frances and Lake streets. See the City of Madison website for current rate information. Many city lots and downtown metered street parking become filled by midmorning, especially during special events.
8 am – 5 pm, Monday through Friday
The office is closed:
New Year's Day - January 1
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day - Third Monday in January
Presidents' Day - Third Monday in February
Memorial Day Weekend - Last Monday in May and the Friday before
Independence Day - July 4
Labor Day - First Monday in September
Columbus Day - Second Monday in October
Thanksgiving - Fourth Thursday and Friday in November
Christmas Day - December 25
Get your questions answered over the phone or make an appointment to speak with someone in person.
State Historic Preservation Office
Division of Historic Preservation and Public History
Wisconsin Historical Society
816 State Street, Room 305
Madison, WI 53706