COVID-19 Updates: The Wisconsin Historical Society hours have changed. See a full list of COVID-19 Closures and Events HERE.

Executive Residence | Painting | Wisconsin Historical Society

Painting

Executive Residence

Executive Residence | Painting | Wisconsin Historical Society
This Italianate sandstone house was built in 1856 by Julius T. White at 130 East Gilman Street. The house was later owned by J.G. Thorp, whose daughter married Ole Bull, the famous Norwegian violinist. The state of Wisconsin acquired the house in 1885 as a home for its governors. The University of Wisconsin purchased the property in 1950 for about $60,000 and it became known as the Knapp House (after Kemper K. Knapp). It is currently used as the residence for the Marie Christine Kohler fellows. It was declared a Historic Landmark in 1972.
DESCRIPTION
This Italianate sandstone house was built in 1856 by Julius T. White at 130 East Gilman Street. The house was later owned by J.G. Thorp, whose daughter married Ole Bull, the famous Norwegian violinist. The state of Wisconsin acquired the house in 1885 as a home for its governors. The University of Wisconsin purchased the property in 1950 for about $60,000 and it became known as the Knapp House (after Kemper K. Knapp). It is currently used as the residence for the Marie Christine Kohler fellows. It was declared a Historic Landmark in 1972.
RECORD DETAILS
Image ID:29730
Creation Date:circa 1938
Creator Name:Ford, Winifred
City:Madison
County:Dane
State:Wisconsin
Collection Name:Winifred Ford watercolors, 1938-1939
Genre:Painting
Original Format Type:paintings
Original Format Number:PH 1669.6 (5)
Original Dimensions:24 x 19 inches
SUBJECTS
Birdhouses
Architectural details
Trees
Architecture, Domestic
Lawns
Porches
Cities and towns
Neighborhoods
Sidewalks
Balconies

How to Purchase a Copy

For Personal Use

For commercial or non-profit use, please contact Image Sales.

By clicking "BUY" you agree to our Terms of Use.

10-percent discount for Society Members.

Image-purchasing questions? Please Contact Us.

RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Collections Division. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Reference Details
Location:Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin

How to View in Person

To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.

Checking Out Materials

Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).

Have Questions?

Contact our Archives staff by email.