Wisconsin Historical Society

Photograph

Raddatz Rockshelter and Natural Bridge

Raddatz Rockshelter and Natural Bridge | Photograph | Wisconsin Historical Society
Raddatz Rockshelter and Natural Bridge, known by archaeologists as 47 SK-5. The bridge is made of sand stone, reaching 35 feet in height, and is the largest natural bridge in the state. The shelter is the oldest documented site of primitive man in the upper-Midwest, where soot from the campfires of the earliest inhabitants - 10,000 to 12,000 years ago - is still visible on the soft sandstone walls.   This site was named after the Raddatz family (from Germany), owners of the land beginning in the early 1900s. The natural bridge has been a tourist attraction for visitors since 1870, and was excavated in 1955 and 1957 by Warren Wittry for the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Animal remains found at the site to-date include 15 species of mollusks, and 50 vertebrate species including remains of passenger pigeon, turkey, elk, wolf, bobcat, fisher, marten and mountain lion.  Natural Bridge State Park was established in 1972, and the following year 60 acres centered on the arch were given a further level of protection as Natural Bridge and Rockshelter State Natural Area. The park encompasses about 530 acres, including a 60-acre scientific area. A self-guided nature trail explains the many ways native plants were used throughout history by Native Americans and early European settlers. A two mile hiking trail passes through the woods to the Bridge. In 1978 the site was added to the National Register of Historic Places (Site #78000139).  Location: Sauk County, Honey Creek Township, one mile northeast of Leland off County C.   Latitude: 43.3483201   Longitude: -89.9312354
DESCRIPTION
Raddatz Rockshelter and Natural Bridge, known by archaeologists as 47 SK-5. The bridge is made of sand stone, reaching 35 feet in height, and is the largest natural bridge in the state. The shelter is the oldest documented site of primitive man in the upper-Midwest, where soot from the campfires of the earliest inhabitants - 10,000 to 12,000 years ago - is still visible on the soft sandstone walls. This site was named after the Raddatz family (from Germany), owners of the land beginning in the early 1900s. The natural bridge has been a tourist attraction for visitors since 1870, and was excavated in 1955 and 1957 by Warren Wittry for the State Historical Society of Wisconsin. Animal remains found at the site to-date include 15 species of mollusks, and 50 vertebrate species including remains of passenger pigeon, turkey, elk, wolf, bobcat, fisher, marten and mountain lion. Natural Bridge State Park was established in 1972, and the following year 60 acres centered on the arch were given a further level of protection as Natural Bridge and Rockshelter State Natural Area. The park encompasses about 530 acres, including a 60-acre scientific area. A self-guided nature trail explains the many ways native plants were used throughout history by Native Americans and early European settlers. A two mile hiking trail passes through the woods to the Bridge. In 1978 the site was added to the National Register of Historic Places (Site #78000139). Location: Sauk County, Honey Creek Township, one mile northeast of Leland off County C. Latitude: 43.3483201 Longitude: -89.9312354
RECORD DETAILS
Image ID:36901
Creation Date: 1954
Creator Name:Wittry, Warren
City:Leland
County:Sauk
State:Wisconsin
Collection Name:Place File**
Genre:Photograph
Original Format Type:photographic print, b&w
Original Format Number:PF Leland.2
Original Dimensions:4.5 x 4.5 inches
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For more information on this historic site, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_Bridge_State_Park_(Wisconsin) http://www.mendeley.com/c/20762188/Wittery-1959-The-Raddatz-Rockshelter-Sk5-Wisconsin/ http://mapserver.museum.state.il.us/faunmapweb/onesite.php?siteID=49 [Previously misidentified as the Durst Site.]
SUBJECTS
Dwellings
Archaeological sites
Landforms
Outdoor photography
Formations (Geology)
Trees

How to Purchase a Copy

For Your Personal Use

Such as home display or a gift.

For Commercial or Non-Profit Use

Such as publication, web, public display or film.

By clicking "BUY" you agree to our Terms of Use.

10-percent discount for Society Members.

Image-purchasing questions? Please Contact Us.

RIGHTS AND PERMISSIONS
This image is issued by the Wisconsin Historical Society. Use of the image requires written permission from the staff of the Division of Library-Archives. It may not be sold or redistributed, copied or distributed as a photograph, electronic file, or any other media. The image should not be significantly altered through conventional or electronic means. Images altered beyond standard cropping and resizing require further negotiation with a staff member. The user is responsible for all issues of copyright. Please Credit: Wisconsin Historical Society.
Reference Details
Location:Wisconsin Historical Society Archives, 4th Floor, Madison, Wisconsin

How to View in Person

To view this image, visit the Archives Research Room on the 4th floor at the Society Headquarters building in Madison, WI. Print out this index page and present it to the librarian. Use the links below to plan your visit to the Society's Archives.

Checking Out Materials

Visual materials in the Archives do not circulate and must be viewed in the Society's Archives Research Room.

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

Wisconsin Historical Society Citation
Wisconsin Historical Society, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research Citation
Wisconsin Center for Film and Theater Research, Creator, Title, Image ID. Viewed online at (copy and paste image page link).

Have Questions?

Contact our Archives staff by email.