Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

2640 South Webster Ave., Heritage Hill State Park

National or State Register of Historic Places
2640 South Webster Ave., Heritage Hill State Park | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Cotton House
Reference Number:70000026
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):2640 South Webster Ave., Heritage Hill State Park
County:Brown
City/Village:Allouez
Township:
SUMMARY
Cotton House
Heritage Hill State Historical Park
2640 South Webster Avenue, Allouez, Brown County
Date of Construction: 1840s

In 1824, Lieutenant John Cotton, a West Point graduate, was stationed at Fort Howard in Green Bay. While there, he met Mary Arndt, the daughter of local judge John Penn Arndt. In 1825, the two married, and the next year, Cotton was transferred to another army post in a different part of the country. John and Mary Cotton moved several times between 1826 and 1848 according to John’s army orders.

In the early 1840s, Judge Arndt built a house for his daughter and son-in-law in Green Bay. The house is a temple style Greek Revival home which features a two-story central portico. This portico is distyle-in-antis in style, meaning that it has two central columns and two outer pilasters connected to the main section of the house. The house also has single story wings on either side of the central portico.

The house stayed in the Cotton family until 1893, when they sold it to J. W. Woodruff. He in turn sold it in 1896 to the Catholic Diocese of Green Bay, which used the home as an orphanage until 1933. In 1941, the house was moved from its original location to the top of a hill overlooking the Fox River. The Cotton House became one of the first buildings incorporated into the Heritage Hill State Historical Park in the 1970s.

The Cotton House is still part of Heritage Hill and is open during normal visiting hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1825-1849
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Greek Revival
Resource Type:Building
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:4/28/1970 12:00:00 AM
State Register Listing Date:1/1/1989 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: