Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

112 Sixth Ave.

National or State Register of Historic Places
112 Sixth Ave. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Blumer, Dr. Samuel, House
Reference Number:92001556
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):112 Sixth Ave.
County:Green
City/Village:New Glarus
Township:
SUMMARY
Dr. Samuel Blumer House
112 Sixth Avenue
Architect: Unknown
Date of construction: ca. 1858

The stone portion of the Blumer house was built around 1858 and is a very early and extremely fine example of Swiss ethnic stone construction. The builder used small pieces of roughly quarried limestone known as "rubble" to build the walls and then finished the surface with a smooth coating of lime mortar or plaster. This building technique was utilized in the construction of many of the first permanent buildings built by the original Swiss settlers of New Glarus. These settlers were from Canton Glarus in Switzerland and this technique is found there. The Blumer House is the finest surviving example of this construction method in New Glarus. The house is also shows how this ethnic group adapted the then popular Greek Revival style of architecture to its needs. Blumer was the first physician to practice in the village. When the clapboard addition was constructed around 1877, the building housed a hardware and tinsmithing business.

The building is privately owned and not open to the public. Please respect the rights of its owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1875-18991850-1874
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Ethnic Heritage/European
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Business
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Professional
Architectural Style:Greek Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:11/05/1992
State Register Listing Date:08/21/1992
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: