Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

900 W. Wisconsin Ave.

National or State Register of Historic Places
900 W. Wisconsin Ave. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Mitchell, Alexander, House
Reference Number:86003852
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):900 W. Wisconsin Ave.
County:Milwaukee
City/Village:Milwaukee
Township:
SUMMARY
Alexander Mitchell House
900 W Wisconsin Ave, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
Dates of construction: 1859, 1871, 1872, 1876, 1905
Architect: Edward Townsend Mix

Alexander Mitchell was born in 1817 in Scotland. He immigrated to the United States in 1839 and pursued a career in banking in Milwaukee, founding the Marine Bank of Wisconsin. From 1864 to his death in 1887 he was the president of the Chicago, Milwaukee and St. Paul Railway. He also served two terms in Congress. Mitchell is said to have been his generation’s wealthiest Wisconsin resident.

The Mitchell House occupies a full city block of landscaped grounds surrounded by a tall iron fence with carved limestone posts. Located within the grounds is a highly ornate, pagoda-roofed summer house built in 1871, known as the Belvedere. Other outbuildings once dotted the grounds, but are no longer extant.

In 1848, the Mitchells built a modest house on the current site. With increasing wealth, Mitchell bought the other parcels on the block and expanded his house. In 1859, the original house was remodeled in the Italianate style and in 1872 wings were added. In 1876, Mitchell hired noted Milwaukee architect Edward Townsend Mix to update the house in the fashionable Second Empire style. Rooms were added, as was the signature mansard roof and entry tower. Artists decorated the house with carved woodwork, stained glass, and inlaid tiles.

The house stood vacant after Alexander Mitchell’s death until the Deutscher Club acquired it and moved their club to the house in 1895. The Club was established in 1891 to provide fellowship for the city's affluent German-American businessmen. Responding to anti-German sentiment during World War I, they changed the name to the Wisconsin Club. The Club made several additions to the house and have remodeled rooms to accommodate the new function.

The Mitchell House remains the home of the Wisconsin Club.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1848-1934
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Economics
Area of Significance:Social History
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Person
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Social: Clubhouse
Architectural Style:Second Empire
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Mix,Edward Townsend
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:08/28/2012
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:1
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:1
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: