Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Roughly bounded by State, S. 21st, and Madison sts., and West Ave. S

National or State Register of Historic Places
Roughly bounded by State, S. 21st, and Madison sts., and West Ave. S | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Cass and King Street Residential Historic District
Reference Number:97001410
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Roughly bounded by State, S. 21st, and Madison sts., and West Ave. S
County:La Crosse
City/Village:La Crosse
Township:
SUMMARY
Cass and King Street Residential Historic District
Roughly bounded by State, S. 21st, and Madison sts., and West Ave., La Crosse, La Crosse County
Dates of contributing buildings: 1882-1946

The Cass and King Street Residential Historic District contains a fine collection of buildings representing styles from the late nineteenth through the mid twentieth centuries. The district began to experience growth in the mid-1880s when the prosperity of the lumbering era began to transform La Crosse into an important lumber-processing center. As a result of this economic expansion, the city and the neighborhood grew; the majority of the houses in the district were constructed between 1890 and 1930. The historic residents of the neighborhood included most of the city's civic, business and industrial leaders.

Among the various architectural styles employed in the district are several fine Queen Anne style residences. The three most elaborate examples were designed in the 1890s by the prominent La Crosse architectural firm of Gustav Stoltze and Hugo Schick. Representative of the style is the 1891-1892 Stephen Gantert House at 1304 Main Street. The design employs multiple gables, as well as surface texture and ornamentation to create an irregularity of surface and massing. The district is also noted for its fine collection of Prairie School designs. Seven of the district's Prairie School houses were designed by local architects Percy Bentley and Otto Merman. One of the best examples of the style within the district is the 1912 Henry Salzer House at 1634 King Street. Overall, the district is noted for its high concentration of properties retaining their historic appearance and the limited number of modern intrusions; 220 of the district¿s 287 buildings are considered to be contributing resources to the district. In addition to houses, the district contains four churches, a church hall and a park.

The houses in the district are private residences. Please respect the rights and privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1882-1946
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Domestic: Secondary Structure
Historic Use:Religion: Religious Facility
Architectural Style:Italianate
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Resource Type:District
Architect:multiple
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:11/07/1997
State Register Listing Date:04/22/1997
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:220
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: