Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

550 N. Park St., University of Wisconsin campus

National or State Register of Historic Places
550 N. Park St., University of Wisconsin campus | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Science Hall
Reference Number:93001616
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):550 N. Park St., University of Wisconsin campus
County:Dane
City/Village:Madison
Township:
SUMMARY
UNIVERSITY OF WISCONSIN SCIENCE HALL
550 North Park Street, Madison, Dane County
Architect: Henry C. Koch, altered by Allen D. Conover
Date of construction: 1887

The University of Wisconsin Science Hall was constructed in 1887 to house the university's science-related programs. Until 1890 it was just one of three instructional facilities on campus. Among the first departments to utilize the building were Engineering, Physics, Mineralogy and Geology, and Zoology.

The building, which sits at the bottom of Bascom Hill, is Romanesque Revival Style. It is U-shaped, of three stories and features walls of red pressed brick laid in common bond. It consists of a series of classrooms, offices, laboratories and reading rooms. Science Hall was originally designed by Milwaukee architect Henry C. Koch (1841-1910) but the plans were altered by Allen D. Conover (1854-1919) a Professor of Civil Engineering.

Old Science Hall was destroyed by fire in 1884, consequently the new building was designed to be fireproof. Conover insisted that hollow clay tile and additional iron and steel columns be used in the construction of Science Hall to make the building as fireproof as possible. Conover's alterations to the original plan increased the cost of the building putting financial strain on the university. However, in April 1887 the legislature reluctantly agreed to grant an additional $175,000 to complete the project and liquidate the Regents' debt. The total cost of Science Hall is estimated to have been $285,000.

Since it was opened in 1888, this building has been home to many great scientific scholars and educators. Among them were the prominent geologists Charles R. Van Hise (1857-1918) and Thomas C. Chamberlin (1843-1928). Both men made great contributions to the science of geology and gained national attention and recognition for their work done in Science Hall.

Today Science Hall sits among the older portion of the large, now modern University of Wisconsin campus. It is a working building and is open to the public during regular school hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1925-19491875-18991900-1924
Area of Significance:Communications
Area of Significance:Science
Applicable Criteria:Person
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Education: College
Historic Use:Education: Research Facility
Architectural Style:Romanesque
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Conover,Allan
Architect:Koch,Henry C.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:National Historic Landmark Status Granted
National Historic Landmark Listing Date:Thu Nov 04 00:00:00 UTC 1993
National Register Listing Date:11/04/1993
State Register Listing Date:01/15/1993
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: