Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

430 East Second St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
430 East Second St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Merrill Post Office
Reference Number:00001258
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):430 East Second St.
County:Lincoln
City/Village:Merrill
Township:
SUMMARY
Merrill Post Office
430 E 2nd Street, Merrill, Lincoln County
Architect: James A. Wetmore
Date of Construction: 1915

Merrill's first post office was located in the Jenny Hotel, owned by Cyrus Stowbridge, the first postmaster. Later, the post office rented space in the Masonic Temple. In 1915, the U.S. Office of the Supervising Architect designed and built the new Merrill Post Office, the first federally owned post office in Merrill. It is one of several Neo-Classical Revival style buildings in the downtown business district of Merrill.

The Merrill Post Office is one of a few examples in Wisconsin of a post office built during the transition into the McAdoo System, which standardized the designs and construction of post offices. Therefore, while displaying a greater degree or originality than subsequent post office designs, some architectural features are found at other post offices. The building’s classical design is visible in its temple-motif façade, with brick pilasters and pediment, as well as the dentilled cornice. Using brick (instead of cut stone) in conjunction with the classical design elements was a common money-saving technique for post office construction.

The lobby displays coffered ceilings and marble wainscoting and door surrounds. The central feature of the Merrill Post Office is its unique ceiling with an octagonal skylight. It contains its original leaded glass and provides light to the main lobby of the building.

The Merrill Post Office is open during normal business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1915
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Government: Post Office
Architectural Style:Classical Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Wetmore, James A.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
National Register Listing Date:10/24/2000
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: