Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

102 Ferry St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
102 Ferry St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Oatman Filling Station
Reference Number:00001669
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):102 Ferry St.
County:Eau Claire
City/Village:Eau Claire
Township:
SUMMARY
Oatman Filling Station
102 Ferry Street, Eau Claire, Eau Claire County
Date of construction: 1931

The Oatman Filling Station is an intact example of the house-type filling station, a building type erected in large numbers between 1920 and 1935. This example is a one-story, wood-frame building covered with wooden shingles. The symmetrical front fa├žade contains a center door with a single window to each side. The steeply pitched roof is influenced by the popularity of the Tudor Revival cottage, characterized by its picturesque appearance.

Designers of house-type stations addressed community objections to the location of gas stations in suburban neighborhoods by designing them to look like diminutive houses. These stations were pioneers of the automobile strips and demonstrated the economic success of free-standing commercial buildings with deep setbacks and easy vehicular access, which became the dominant commercial type for suburban America. The Oatman Filling Station was constructed in 1931, a period of expanding automobile ownership and gas station construction in Eau Claire. Early automobile owners in the area purchased gasoline at outlets such as hardware stores and bulk oil stations. Sometime between 1923 and 1926 the first filling station in the city was erected; by 1928 the number had jumped to 28 filling stations. Frank Oatman constructed this station as a Texaco affiliated station. This example of a house type filling station is the only surviving intact pre-1940 filling station in Eau Claire.

The building is not open to the public, please respect the privacy of its owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1931
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Specialty Store
Architectural Style:Tudor Revival
Resource Type:Building
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:01/16/2001
State Register Listing Date:10/20/2000
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: