Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

144 E. Wells St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
144 E. Wells St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Pabst Theater
Reference Number:72000063
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):144 E. Wells St.
County:Milwaukee
City/Village:Milwaukee
Township:
SUMMARY
PABST THEATER
144 East Wells Street, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
Architect: Otto Strack
Date of construction: 1895

As a gift to the community, beer magnate Frederick Pabst provided $300,000 for the theater's construction in 1895. Faced with brick and sandstone its German Renaissance Revival style is seen in its elaborately shaped gables. The interior is noted for the richness of its original décor. Marble, gilding and painted plaster adorn the public spaces. The auditorium is crowned by a shallow circular dome, which rises above an elaborate plaster cornice. Many of the original finishes were restored in the mid-1970s.

At the time of its construction the building was noted for its technological innovations. These included an electric organ, one of the country's first fire curtains, all electrical illumination, and a very early air conditioning system, which used a number of fans and large amounts of ice. The theater is also thought to have the first counterweight system for hoisting scenery. This was installed shortly after World War I and remains in use.

For over a century, this building has played an important role in the cultural life of Milwaukee. For many years the Pabst Theater was the home of the German theater in Milwaukee, which at the time of the building¿s construction was known as the "Deutsch Athen" (German Athens) to German-Americans. Its German Renaissance Revival design represented the height of architectural taste in Pabst's homeland and was consciously chosen to celebrate the economic success and social status of Milwaukee's German immigrants. Its association with German cultural heritage was recognized by its designation as a National Historic Landmark in 1991.

Even before the dissolution of the German theater company in 1935, the theater was expanding its offerings of non-German performances, hosting musical, dramatic and dancing luminaries of the twentieth century, including pianist Sergei Rachmaninoff, actor Sir Laurence Olivier and ballerina Anna Pavlova. The building continues as an important theater space in the city of Milwaukee.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-1924
Period of Significance:1875-1899
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Ethnic Heritage/European
Area of Significance:Performing Arts
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Theater
Architectural Style:Late Victorian
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Strack,Otto
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:National Historic Landmark Status Granted
National Historic Landmark Listing Date:Wed Dec 04 00:00:00 UTC 1991
National Register Listing Date:04/11/1972
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: