Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

601 Saint Andrew Rd.

National or State Register of Historic Places
601 Saint Andrew Rd. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Chicago, Milwaukee and Saint Paul Railway Passenger Depot
Reference Number:97001512
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):601 Saint Andrew Rd.
County:La Crosse
City/Village:La Crosse
Township:
SUMMARY
Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul Railway Passenger Depot
601 Saint Andrew Street, LaCrosse, LaCrosse County
Architect: A.O. Lagerstrom
Date of Construction: 1927

The Chicago, Milwaukee & St. Paul (Milwaukee Road) Railway Passenger Depot was the final passenger depot to be constructed by the Milwaukee Railroad. The railway depot was designed by A. O. Lagerstrom and built in 1927. The building is divided into three sections: the passenger depot station, the breezeway and the baggage/freight station. Each section has its own distinct appearance and style. The depot's eclectic design features Mediterranean, Georgian Revival, Prairie School, and Chicago Commercial influences.

The railroad played a vital role in the city of LaCrosse. It was a needed connection across the Mississippi River to points as far west as Seattle. By 1886, the basic rail patterns were established in LaCrosse. The expansion of the railroad into LaCrosse made the city an important destination and stopping point. The 1878 Milwaukee Railroad depot in downtown LaCrosse was destroyed by fire on Christmas Eve, 1916. Temporary depots were set up until the construction of the CM&StP Railway Passenger Depot.

Railway passenger traffic was successful from the start and it continued to thrive through the 1930s and 1940s. More than 75 percent of travel was made by railway. Despite improvements, railway traffic began to decline after WWII and continuously dropped until Amtrak took over in 1971. That year the CM&StP Railway Passenger Depot became the LaCrosse Amtrak Depot.

The depot is one of the last remaining examples of railroad-related architecture in the city and represents the early twentieth century evolution of rail transportation. The depot is still used and is open to the public during daily business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1925-1949
Area of Significance:Transportation
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Transportation: Rail-Related
Architectural Style:Mixed (More Than 2 Styles From Different Periods)
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Lagerstrom, A. O.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:12/01/1997
State Register Listing Date:07/17/1997
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: