Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

107 West Beech Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
107 West Beech Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Edgar Village Hall
Reference Number:00000317
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):107 West Beech Street
County:Marathon
City/Village:Edgar
Township:
SUMMARY
Edgar Village Hall
107 West Beach Street, Edgar, Marathon County
Architects: Swarthout and Speer
Date of construction: 1917

Beginning in the late 1890s, the citizens of the Village of Edgar used the large Modern American Woodman lodge hall for lectures, entertainment and weekly dances. However, by the early twentieth century the residents of the community wished to build their own civic hall; floating a $5000 bond, the village government purchased the Woodman's Hall. In 1917 the old hall was torn down and the construction of the village hall commenced.

Architecturally, the Village Hall is an eclectic mix of styles. The building's symmetrical massing, simple cornice and implied brick pilasters are taken from the classical styles. The nineteenth century Italianate style contributes the tall, rounded window openings and the large overhanging eave supported by large brackets of the main facade. The firm of Swarthout and Speer, based in Wausau, Wisconsin designed the building.

The new building played an important role in community life. In addition to housing the village government and fire department, the traveling library used the council room for its visits. The police department and jail were also located in the building. Community groups used the building for rummage sales, fundraisers, meetings, and recitals. Numerous wedding receptions took place in the large upstairs auditorium. Typical of many smaller communities, the local school did not have a gymnasium or an auditorium; therefore, plays, dances, physical education classes, and basketball games were held at the village hall.

Into the 1990s the building continued its original use as the center of civic and governmental life in the village. In the 1970s the fire station moved out and the public library, which had been meeting in the old jail portion, took over this part of the building. Because of the difficulty of upkeep, the building was sold to private interests in 1994. It currently houses office space on the first floor; the auditorium portion of the building is not used.

The Edgar Village Hall is privately owned and not open to the public. Please respect the rights of its owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1917-1949
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Politics/Government
Area of Significance:Social History
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Government: City Hall
Architectural Style:Late 19th And 20th Century Revivals
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Swarthout and Speer
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:03/31/2000
State Register Listing Date:10/22/1999
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: