Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Grant St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
Grant St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Amberg Town Hall
Reference Number:81000048
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Grant St.
County:Marinette
City/Village:
Township:Amberg
SUMMARY
Amberg Town Hall
Grant Street, Amberg, Marinette County
Architect: Charles W. Maass
Date of Construction: 1894

The town of Amberg is located in northern Wisconsin, near the Michigan border. The small settlement, originally known as Pike, began in 1867 as a supply depot for the timber drives down the Pike River. The community grew in 1884 with the arrival of the Milwaukee and Northern Railroad. However, the community's fortune was made with the quarrying of high-quality building granite in the area. In 1888, William Amberg, a Chicago businessman, opened the Athelstane quarry, which supplied dark gray granite. By 1891, Amberg was large enough to break away from the Town of Wausaukee and it was decided to build a hall for the new township.

Construction of the Amberg Town Hall commenced in the spring of 1894 and was completed later that year. Charles Maass, a Marinette architect, designed the building. The jail and custodian's living quarters were at the rear of the first floor, with the clerk's office in the front portion. On the second floor was a large hall for community activities. The hall was available for public rental, although churches were allowed to hold socials rent-free. In addition to these events, the hall provided a space for visiting entertainers, Christmas plays, dances, public meetings, and basketball games.

The building has undergone some changes in the last 50 years. The tower was shortened and some interior partitions have been removed.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1875-1899
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Community Planning And Development
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Government: Fire Station
Historic Use:Social: Meeting Hall
Historic Use:Government: City Hall
Historic Use:Government: Correctional Facility
Architectural Style:Queen Anne
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Maass,Charles M.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:03/20/1981
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: