Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

1450 Monroe St., University of Wisconsin campus

National or State Register of Historic Places
1450 Monroe St., University of Wisconsin campus | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:University of Wisconsin Field House
Reference Number:98000829
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):1450 Monroe St., University of Wisconsin campus
County:Dane
City/Village:Madison
Township:
SUMMARY
University of Wisconsin Field House
1450 Monroe Street
Architect: William F. Stevens and John Knudsen for State Architect Arthur Peabody
Date of construction: 1930

The Field House is a Renaissance Revival style building. It is composed of a rectilinear plan, steel frame, sandstone-clad main block, to the north side of which is attached a set of sandstone-clad concrete bleachers that form the south end of Camp Randall Stadium. The visually one-story-tall building is equivalent to a five-story building in overall height and contains a rectangular five-story-tall space that is used primarily as a basketball court and is ringed with three tiers of bleachers.

Basketball had its beginnings at the UW in 1898 and grew in popularity among the students. Emmett D. Angell acted as the UW¿s first basketball coach in 1904 and his team won its first championship title in 1905-1906. Games were held at the Old Red Gym, which had a seating capacity of just 2,240 for basketball games. As the winning tradition of UW basketball teams continued into the early twentieth century, a new facility was needed to hold the growing crowds.

The Field House was constructed primarily to house UW basketball games and had an original seating capacity of 8,000 for basketball games. The building, however, was also designed to replace the UW Stock Pavilion as the principal center for large scale cultural events. Bands, symphony orchestras, and popular entertainers have all performed in this space and it has also been the scene of UW and area high school graduation ceremonies and other public occasions.

The building is open to the public during athletic and other special events.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1925-1949
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Entertainment/Recreation
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Sport Facility
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Peabody, Arthur
Architect:Christenson, William
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:07/01/1998
State Register Listing Date:01/22/1998
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: