Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

4149 WI 70

National or State Register of Historic Places
4149 WI 70 | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Eagle River Stadium
Reference Number:94000650
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):4149 WI 70
County:Vilas
City/Village:
Township:Lincoln
SUMMARY
Eagle River Stadium
4149 Highway 70, Eagle River, Vilas County
Architect: Max Hanisch
Date of Construction: 1933

In order to promote winter tourism in Eagle River, the first high school hockey team was formed in 1926. Shortly thereafter, Charles E. Taylor, a leader of the Eagle River community and supporter of hockey, brought forth the concept to build a stadium that would provide entertainment and recreation for the town. His idea came to life in 1933 with the construction of the Eagle River Stadium. The sports arena brought a great sense of pride and unity to the town. Members of the community raised $25,000 to build the stadium on five acres of land donated by Taylor.

The stadium employed an innovative structural system resulting in its unique elongated dome-shaped roof. Its lamella truss roof consists of a network of wood rafters forming interlocking diamond shapes. This distinctive engineering method results in a geometrically stable form built relatively cheap with easily worked material. The lamella technique was used for its ability to span great widths, creating wide-open space for spectators. Its architect Max Hanisch was responsible for introducing the lamella truss to Wisconsin.

The location of the stadium and its surroundings were intended to be a winter sports center. The site also included a ski jump, a toboggan slide and a lake used for hockey before the indoor rink was in place. The Eagle River Stadium was the first indoor hockey arena in Wisconsin. In 1980 it was named the 'Hockey Capitol of Wisconsin' and in 1983 it became home of the Wisconsin Hockey Hall of Fame.

The stadium is still in use and continues to be the center of hockey in the state of Wisconsin. It is open to the public during regularly scheduled events.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1925-1949
Area of Significance:Engineering
Area of Significance:Entertainment/Recreation
Applicable Criteria:Event
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Sport Facility
Architectural Style:Modern Movement
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Hanisch, Max
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:06/24/1994
State Register Listing Date:01/21/1994
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:1
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:1
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: