Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

1034 N. 4th St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
1034 N. 4th St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Turner Hall
Reference Number:77000041
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):1034 N. 4th St.
County:Milwaukee
City/Village:Milwaukee
Township:
SUMMARY
Turner Hall
1034 N. 4th Street, Milwaukee, Milwaukee County
Architect: H.C. Koch
Date of Construction: 1882

Turner Hall is one of the few surviving buildings associated with the American Turners. German-Americans founded the Turners in Milwaukee in 1853. They are largely known for their efforts in social reform and their involvement with physical education, mainly gymnastics, and the arts. Turner Hall is a showcase of the German-American culture and a political center for the Milwaukee community.

H.C. Koch, a German immigrant architect, designed the hall in the High Victorian Romanesque style. Koch was known for employing this style in his designs of churches and courthouses. Architects typically used Romanesque for public buildings because it portrays a sense of civic monumentality. A heavy cornice separates the ground floor from the upper stories. Bold masses of brick and stone are cut by arches, joined by towers, and topped with dramatic roofs. The architectural articulation of the main fa├žade consists of tall, ornamental spandrels, arched windows, and massive stone lintels. Turner Hall is one of the most significant of H.C. Koch's designs in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee was the center of panorama painting in the late 1800s. The Turners' interest in this type art is clearly represented on the interior of the building. There are twelve murals painted by German panoramic artists that depict scenes of importance to the Turner movement. There are also murals of famous German villages and scenes.

Turner Hall continues to be a social and cultural facility today and is open to the public during normal business hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1900-19241925-19491875-1899
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Ethnic Heritage/European
Area of Significance:Philosophy
Area of Significance:Politics/Government
Area of Significance:Social History
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Social: Clubhouse
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Auditorium
Historic Use:Recreation And Culture: Sport Facility
Architectural Style:Romanesque
Architectural Style:Gothic
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Koch,Henry C.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
Historic Status:National Historic Landmark Status Granted
National Historic Landmark Listing Date:Fri Nov 15 00:00:00 UTC 1996
National Register Listing Date:11/07/1977
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: