Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Roughly bounded by CTH K, Brussels Rd., STH 57, Belgian Dr., and the Green Bay Rd.

National or State Register of Historic Places
Roughly bounded by CTH K, Brussels Rd., STH 57, Belgian Dr., and the Green Bay Rd. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Namur Belgian-American District
Reference Number:87002553
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Roughly bounded by CTH K, Brussels Rd., STH 57, Belgian Dr., and the Green Bay Rd.
County:Door
City/Village:
Township:Union
SUMMARY
Namur Belgian-American Historic District
Union Township and parts of Gardner Township, Door County
Construction dates of contributing buildings: 1871-1930

Namur was settled in 1853 by French-speaking Belgian immigrants. Most of the immigrants farmed in their European homeland and brought their agrarian skills with them. It is the Nation¿s largest rural settlement of Belgian nationality where the importance of farmsteads and landscape play a key role. Although social and religious centers retain their distinctive role in the history of Namur, the vitality of the district is seen through the area¿s architecture. The Namur Historic District exemplifies the character of Belgian-American vernacular architecture.

At the time of settlement, the area's abundant timber provided the immigrants with building materials for their log cabin homes. However, the 1871 Peshtigo fire destroyed both timber and many of the wood buildings in the area. As a result, the immigrants constructed new dwellings with red brick similar to the stone houses of the Belgian tradition.

There are a total of 261 buildings within the district built between 1871 and 1930. Typical farmsteads include a red brick farmhouse located near the adjacent road, a log barn and many small outbuildings. The buildings are usually centered on the farmyard and surrounded by fields and pasture land. The district includes Belgian community buildings such as St. Mary of the Snows Catholic Church and cemetery, Fairview Elementary School, the Harold Euclide General Store, and non-farm residences.

These buildings are privately owned and not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of their owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1880-1930
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Ethnic Heritage/European
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Historic Use:Agriculture/Subsistence: Storage
Historic Use:Agriculture/Subsistence: Agricultural Fields
Historic Use:Agriculture/Subsistence: Animal Facility
Historic Use:Agriculture/Subsistence: Agricultural Outbuildings
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:District
Architect:Unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:National Historic Landmark Status Granted
National Historic Landmark Listing Date:Fri Dec 14 00:00:00 UTC 1990
National Register Listing Date:11/6/1989 12:00:00 AM
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:184
Number of Contributing Sites:2
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:2
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: