Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

1323 9th St.

National or State Register of Historic Places
1323 9th St. | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Freitag's Pure Oil Service Station
Reference Number:80000139
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):1323 9th St.
County:Green
City/Village:Monroe
Township:
SUMMARY
Freitag's Pure Oil Service Station
1323 Ninth Street, Monroe, Green County
Date of construction: 1935
Designer: Carl August Petersen, Chief Engineer, Pure Oil Company

The Freitag Service Station's steeply pitched roof, varied windows, small scale, and brick construction give the service station a domestic appearance. The design was an attempt to break the stereotype of the service station as an eyesore and to make it an acceptable part of a streetscape. The Pure Oil company also hoped that these franchised stations would be welcomed in residential areas, which it recognized as a growing market as more families acquired automobiles. Through the construction of this standardized design, Pure Oil used gas station design as a corporate symbol and trademark. With its white walls and "Pure Oil Blue" roof tiles, it had a recognized visual identity. Pure Oil was one of the first American corporations to use architecture as a means of advertising and corporate identification. From 1927 through the 1930s, the Pure Oil Company built hundreds of stations identical to this one throughout the country.

The original Pure Oil cottage station contained only an office section. However, it was soon adapted to include a service bay, called a "Lubridome." Freitag's is an example of the full service type.

C.W. (Slim) Freitag built this station for his father at a cost of $16,000 for the building and the land. Slim was a big band trombonist and a pilot who gave flying lessons to several Pure Oil executives. The senior Freitag operated the station until his death. After Union Oil merged with Union 76, Freitag's became a 76 station. The station closed in the late 1970s.

The building is not open to the public, please respect the privacy of its owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1935
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Commerce
Area of Significance:Transportation
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Commerce/Trade: Business
Historic Use:Transportation: Road-Related
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Petersen,Carl A.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:01/15/1980
State Register Listing Date:01/01/1989
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: