Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

Garmisch Road (HC 73, Box 705)

National or State Register of Historic Places
Garmisch Road (HC 73, Box 705) | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Forest Lodge
Reference Number:02000031
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):Garmisch Road (HC 73, Box 705)
County:Bayfield
City/Village:
Township:Namakagon
SUMMARY
Forest Lodge
Garmisch Road, Town of Namekagon, Bayfield County
Architects: Edwin Lundie and Magnus Jemne
Dates of construction: 1893-circa 1950

Forest Lodge is a 16 building, family hunting and fishing retreat located on the south shore of Lake Namekagon in northern Wisconsin. The Rustic Style complex blends into the naturally landscaped grounds and wooded setting. Stone walls, a picnic area, recreation areas, and an elaborate path and road system contribute to the idyllic setting.

The main lodge was begun in 1893 as a log cabin, substantial remodelings in 1914, the late 1920s and in the 1930s expanded its size, providing amenities for its affluent owners. While modest in its d├ęcor and outward appearance, this log building contains a dining room, living room, kitchen, maids' dining room, three bedrooms, a library, a small sitting room, and three bathrooms. Additional living space is provided in the guest house and maids' cabin, both located near the main lodge building. Among the other buildings in the extensive complex is a large, two-story boathouse. The two-slip building is also in the Rustic Style, with vertical half-log siding. Rustic Style buildings are characterized by their use of log construction and other native materials. It was the choice for many vacation homes and park buildings because it symbolically expressed a harmonious relationship between people and the wilderness.

The land on which the estate is located began as a logging camp. In 1889 Crawford Livingston of St. Paul, Minnesota, together with a group of hunters and fishermen from Chicago, leased the old logging camp as a retreat. Livingston purchased the property in 1902. It was his daughter and her husband, Mary Livingston and Theodore Griggs, who oversaw the construction and remodeling of most of the buildings on the grounds and developed the complex. They also added substantially to the original acreage.

In 1999, the property was conveyed to the federal government, allowing it to be preserved for future generations. However, the Forest Lodge complex remains in private use and is not open to the public. Please respect the privacy of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1893-1950
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Camp
Architectural Style:Other
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Jemne, Magnus
Architect:Lundie, Edwins H.
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:02/14/2002
State Register Listing Date:01/18/2002
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:15
Number of Contributing Sites:9
Number of Contributing Structures:3
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:9
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:3
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: