Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

736 Revere Drive

National or State Register of Historic Places
736 Revere Drive | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Sexton's House
Reference Number:01000173
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):736 Revere Drive
County:Manitowoc
City/Village:Manitowoc
Township:
SUMMARY
Sexton¿s House
736 Revere Drive, Manitowoc, Manitowoc County
Architect: Unknown
Date of Construction: 1878

The Sexton's House was built in 1878 in Evergreen Cemetery in Manitowoc. The house was the intended residence for the Sexton, who maintained and enforced security of the burial grounds. In 1853, the village of Manitowoc appointed a cemetery superintendent. The job later developed into the position of the Sexton, which was made official in 1879. The Sexton¿s duties included the maintenance of the cemetery grounds, security, record keeping, and the burial of the poor. The Sexton lived on the grounds of the cemetery to provide continuous service.

The Sexton¿s House sits in a flat, open area at the southeast edge of the cemetery. It is a brick building constructed in the late Victorian Italianate style. The main block of the brick building has a two-story T plan with a gable roof. A narrow wooden frieze decorates the eaves. There is a one-story wing that extends beyond the north side of the building and creates a porte cochere. This section has overhanging eaves that are supported by large wooden brackets and posts.

The office of the Sexton was filled until 1983. The position is now considered obsolete. A private business acquired the lease of the building in 2000 and did substantial restoration to the building, converting it to office use. The building is not open to the public, please respect the privacy of its occupants.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1878-1950
Area of Significance:Politics/Government
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Government: Government Office
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Italianate
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Unknown
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:02/23/2001
State Register Listing Date:10/20/2000
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: