Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

509 W Fulton Street

National or State Register of Historic Places
509 W Fulton Street | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:Delong, Henry and Elizabeth, House
Reference Number:02001105
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):509 W Fulton Street
County:Waupaca
City/Village:Waupaca
Township:
SUMMARY
Henry and Elizabeth Delong House
509 West Fulton Street, Waupaca, Waupaca County
Builder: Conrad Gmeiner
Date of Construction: 1903

Conrad Gmeiner was a local builder and brickyard owner in Waupaca. He was commissioned to build various buildings throughout the city, including the Fair Store building with Hans Knudson. Gmeiner was able to showcase his company's bricks and concrete blocks in the house that he built for his wife Carrie's parents. The box-like massing, hipped roof and wide overhanging eaves are identifying elements of this American Foursquare house, a vernacular building form that was popular in the early twentieth century.

The walls of the first story were built with rusticated ornamental concrete block. This newly developed building material was affordable and durable. Industrially produced building blocks were molded in a form with an interchangeable face plate, allowing the block to imitate more costly decorative work carved from natural stone. One row below the top of the concrete blocks is a course of blocks that have raised acanthus leaf scrolls. Above the concrete Gmeiner used dark red bricks upon the owner's request. A belt course of bricks above the concrete is laid out in a tooth-like dentil pattern.

American Foursquares were ornamented in all of the popular styles of the time, including the Classical Revival, seen here. Diamond and cross-buck patterns are used to decorate posts, balustrades and windows. Classic Revival elements are also found in the Palladian-inspired dormer with its Tuscan pilasters and sunburst ornament. The interior nook located in the living room also features classical moldings, fluted pilasters and raised oak panels.

The house is privately owned; please respect the privacy rights of the owners.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1903
Area of Significance:Architecture
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Historic Use:Domestic: Single Dwelling
Architectural Style:Late 19th And Early 20th Century American Movements
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Gmeiner, Conrad
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:10/04/2002
State Register Listing Date:04/12/2002
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: