Wisconsin Historical Society

National or State Registers Record

380 Main Avenue

National or State Register of Historic Places
380 Main Avenue | National or State Registers Record | Wisconsin Historical Society
NAMES
Historic Name:De Pere Public Library
Reference Number:02001106
PROPERTY LOCATION
Location (Address):380 Main Avenue
County:Brown
City/Village:De Pere
Township:
SUMMARY
De Pere Public Library
380 Main Avenue, De Pere, Brown County
Architect: Foeller, Schober & Berners
Date of Construction: 1937

The Great Depression of the 1930s was a period of enormous growth for public facilities due to federally funded work-relief programs. The De Pere Public Library was built through the assistance of the Public Works Administration, which aided the construction of public buildings such as schools, post offices and libraries.

Foeller, Schober & Berners, a regionally prominent firm out of Green Bay, designed the library in a Tudor Revival manner, commonly called "Cotswold Style." This style is typically used in residential buildings and therefore lends the building a domestic feel found in many small town public libraries. The library represents all of the characteristics of the Tudor Revival style. This is shown through a steeply sloped roof that has a cross-gable to accentuate the front façade and main entrance. The entrance is recessed into an arched opening. Tudor Revival also includes the use of massive chimneys and tall, narrow windows with small panes. The slate-covered roof and locally quarried limestone used on the exterior of the building was a distinctive building practice in the Cotswold region of England.

The library also includes Classical Revival characteristics, a mix that was typical of 1930s period revival architecture. A classical denticulated entablature surmounts the entrance door and is topped with a semi-circular arched fanlight. The one story structure was originally designed in an L-plan but an additional wing was added to form a U-plan that encloses a central courtyard.

The building of the library played an important role as the first and only purpose-built home of the city¿s public library. Prior to this location the library was housed above the firehouse and served as a private facility for the Young Men's Reading Association until 1896. It is now located in the heart of the commercial development in downtown De Pere.

The library is still in operation today and is open during regular library hours.

PROPERTY FEATURES
Period of Significance:1937-1952
Area of Significance:Architecture
Area of Significance:Education
Applicable Criteria:Architecture/Engineering
Applicable Criteria:Event
Historic Use:Education: Library
Architectural Style:Tudor Revival
Resource Type:Building
Architect:Foeller, Schober and Berners
DESIGNATIONS
Historic Status:Listed in the National Register
Historic Status:Listed in the State Register
National Register Listing Date:10/04/2002
State Register Listing Date:04/15/2002
NUMBER OF RESOURCES WITHIN PROPERTY
Number of Contributing Buildings:1
Number of Contributing Sites:0
Number of Contributing Structures:0
Number of Contributing Objects:0
Number of Non-Contributing Sites:0
Number of Non-Contributing Structures:0
Number of Non-Contributing Objects:0
RECORD LOCATION
National Register and State Register of Historic Places, Division of Historic Preservation, Wisconsin Historical Society, Madison, Wisconsin

How to Cite

For the purposes of a bibliography entry or footnote, follow this model:

National Register of Historic Places Citation
National Register of Historic Places, "Historic Name", "Town", "County", "State", "Reference Number".

Have Questions?

If you didn't find the National Register listing you were looking for or have other questions about the National Register, please email us and we can help: